Forums

Forums / Distance Learning / Online Learning

Distance Learning

Online Learning

Author Post
Giselle Torres Giselle Torres 425 Points

How do you manage to feel engaged and stay focused in class now with online learning? I try to engage and ask questions, but it just does not feel the same doing it over zoom, than in person. 

Janelle Falcon Janelle Falcon 500 Points

Hello Giselle, I’m a university student from Texas and all of my classes are now done via online. Honestly in my opinion I prefer online learning just because it’s easier for me to revolve my work schedule around it and I can do it from the comfort of my home. It is definitely not the same as in person learning but it’s all about time management and being able to self-pace. If you are able to get schedules of assignments and dates ahead of time and pace yourself week by week with your work and how much work you know you’ll be willing to handle each week, I promise it will be a lot easier. In a zoom session though, I recommend just to eliminate anything you know will distract you, like food or your phone, just so you can focus on the teacher better. You can also try actively participating in the zoom session, to break the ice, and have the teacher and other students engaged in conversation as well. I hope this helps.

Brittney Lopez Brittney Lopez 570 Points

Hello Giselle! I agree with you, doing classess over zoom feels very different. I am not so engaged or motivated but things that help me are to stay prepared and focused. I print all my documents, keep track of the calander, and I also leave my camera on. When I have my camera off, it is easier for me to do whatever I want. Leaving my camera on allows me to make sure I remain seated and have my full attention towards the teacher. The teacher is able to see that I am paying attention and it helps me stay focused. 

Ashley Esquivel Ashley Esquivel 390 Points

Hi Giselle! I agree with you, I also tend to struggle with this new method of learning especially since im more of face-to-face learner. I like to engage in class and with zoom I find it hard to do so. It's sometimes hard to get motivated as well because it feels so repetitive. What somtimes helps me is finding differnet spots to work on my assignments/ attend class for example, one day i'll be in my desk, other times I go outside in the patio, or in the kitchen, etc. 

Monica Coronado Monica Coronado 355 Points

I choose a designated time to just focus on a certain class at a time. I see what i have for that week and i break it down throught the week. I keep my mind on one thing at a time , then finish that assignment , and tomorrow is a new day for a new assigment for a different classroom or the same class. As long as i am able to do one assignment a day , i dont have time to feel distracted because im just going in for that one assignment or two of they are small. That ws i stay focused on just that and dont wander off with not getting anything done at the ednd of the day.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers