Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Earth Systems - Weather and Seasons Lesson

Earth and Space Science

Earth Systems - Weather and Seasons Lesson

Author Post
Kyli Bumbray Kyli Bumbray 1708 Points

Hello everyone!

I am a future teacher and want to create a 10 day lesson plan for 3rd graders about weather and seasons. I would like the lessons to be fun and interactive. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please let me know!

Well I think something fun for the seasons could be going over what they experience when these different seasons arive or change from one to the next. You could even (since it is fall) bring in different items that this season brings. It could range anywhere from fallen leaves to what kind of fruits and veggies are in season. Also, associating certain types of weather with certain seasons could be fun. Like it doesn't snow in the summer time, this will definitely spark a question as to why that is and that's when you can delve more into wether patterns and why the seasons change etc. This kind of unit does tie in to how Earth works and space which could broaden or even be a segue into a new unit. They don't usually start learning about Earth systems like that until 4th so maybe try to tie in magnetic forces. I hope this helps even a little bit! Us future teachers got this!

Camillia Ledbetter Camillia Ledbetter 960 Points

Kylie,

With the teaching the seasons, you could build upon that initial interest from the items associated with each season with a demonstration of how the seasons occur. You could have a globe in the middle of the room and use a flashlight to represent the sun. Move the globe around the room showing the relationship between the tilt, position during the revolution and the seasons.

Does your school have a weather station by any chance? We just got one at my school and my students (4th graders) have been learning all about forecasting by watching barometric pressure changes and wind direction to name a few. I plan to have them do weather reports for the school during morning announcements and also eventually record some on video. 

I also had them do temperature comparisons around the playground with thermometers. We compared temperatures on the grassy areas to the concerte areas. We also have an area with a sand volleyball court so we compared that area as well. They charted the temperature and then we compared it when we got inside. 

Another fun activity is cloud observations. Contact your local national weather service office and they can give you a class set of posters with all the different types of clouds on them. We go outside and try and figure out what type of clouds are outside and draw a picture of them. They can also forecast weather by looking at the clouds. Also, invite a local meteorologist in come and speak to the students. It's always fun to bring someone from the outside into the classroom.

Weather is such a great topic. There are endless possibilities!

Camillia Ledbetter Camillia Ledbetter 960 Points

Brenda,

As a first-year teacher, this post has given me so much inspiration in planning for next year! I was able to get a weather station but unfortunately, digital learning interrupted our weather unit and we are not able to use the weather station as planned. I actually planned on using a couple of these ideas! My students were working towards creating weather forecasts for the morning announcements and I was about to have big charts printed for my students to track different weather patterns. There's always next year!

Diane Ripollone Diane Ripollone 3210 Points

Yes our school does. We are located in Raleigh NC. Here is the link to our weather station. Feel free to contact me if you need anything.https://owc.enterprise.earthnetworks.com/OnlineWeatherCenter.aspx?aid=1836

We use it during our Meteorlogy unit. You might want to check out the American Meteorological Society DataStreme courses they are awesome for resources and general knowledge on the topic.

You can go here to find out about the Spring Semester https://www.ametsoc.org/ams/index.cfm/education-careers/education-program/k-12-teachers/

Thanks

Tyler Stark Tyler Stark 465 Points

Another idea is to take students outside and let them use their senses to create a weather forcast for the day, and specualate what the weather will be like for the rest of the day. Also, if the weather changes in the course of the day it would be a great way to have them visualize how the weather changes and can sometimes be unpredictable. 

Randy Russell Randy Russell 620 Points

Here's a list of some Games and Simulations about Weather and Climate, from various sources: https://flyrussell.com/reviews-climate-weather/

Some of the ones at NASA Climate Kids and at NOAA Games 'Planet Arcade' might be best suited for elementary students.

Lily Albertson Lily Albertson 530 Points

You could have the students make observations about their daily weather. I know in my area there have been some crazy weather patterns and it would allow them to see how quickly the weather can change. They can then draw the weather they see or make connections to how it may be caused by what season we are currently in. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers