Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Science Journals

New Teachers

Science Journals

Author Post
Tiffany Alfaro Tiffany Alfaro 810 Points

Aloha everyone, 

I currently work with a 6th grade class and was wondering if anybody has any lesson plans to recommend? Also, in terms assessment for any grade, what do you guys think is the best way to assess? Free response? Multiple Choice? Both? Please let me know! 

Mahalo. 

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Tiffany, I use https://ngss.nsta.org/ and the Explore All Resources tab at the top of this page. The ngss.nsta site includes lessons, materials needed, and assessments most times. If you use multiple choice, make it challenging. For example, we are working on heat transfer and one of the multiple choice questions I used included a response with 'the ice transfers heat to the water', 'the water transfers heat to the ice.' There were four choices and the way they were phrased caused students to think deeply about the response they chose. Make sure that the assessment you use is actually assessing what was taught in the classroom. I rarely use an assessment that has not been modified to include constructed response items and questions that students have come up with during class. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers