Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Integrating Science into the Classroom

Elementary Science

Integrating Science into the Classroom

Author Post
Jessica Emerich Jessica Emerich 180 Points

I am currently placed in a 1st grade classroom where science is not a part of their cirriculum. I have only seen it integrated one time so far and I was wondering what are some of the best ways to fit it into the general education classroom? I would like to integrate science but I do not want to take time away from what is in their set curriculum. 

Mary Lynn Hess Mary Hess 12158 Points

Jessica,

First graders are so much fun to teach. They are so curious about everything. 

What about finding some literature books to drive your science instruction. Here are a few of my favorites:

* The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle - order caterpillars or find them in your environment to bring into the classroom to watch go through their life cycle.

* Muncha! Muncha! Muncha! by Denise Fleming - incorporate the Engineering Design Process by reading the first part of the book, then have students talk about Mr. McGreeley's problem, brainstorm ways to solve his problem and build a prototype, students use pop-up bunnies to test their designs.

* Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy Shaw - students observe and take notes of plastic sheep in a jeep/car using different inclines (wood, sandpaper, etc.).

* The Curious Garden by Peter Brown - plant seeds and watch them grow. 

Have fun!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers