This web seminar will introduce teachers to the Exploration Generation Middle School Playlist and Unit Plan. These instructional materials provide equitable STEM experiences to students and increase educator confidence in teaching rocketry. Explore concepts in forces and motion, chemical reactions, and other physics and chemistry topics.
In this seminar, you will receive a brief introduction to sensemaking, rocketry 101, and resources from the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA). In addition, you will have the opportunity to engage in an activity from one of the lessons. Learn how to develop critical skills within your students to prepare them for the STEM careers of tomorrow.
Individuals who attend the live event and fill out the post-program survey, will receive a free rocket from Estes Education. Note: This offer is only available to individuals with a USA mailing address.
- The sensemaking approach provides opportunities for equitable STEM experiences in the classroom. Lessons begin with a phenomenon that provides students from diverse backgrounds with a common starting point and raises questions. Each step that follows is driven by students’ questions.
- The excitement and curiosity generated by model rocket launches can be used to drive learning about a variety of physical science ideas and cultivate a passion for STEM.
- Using a sensemaking framework to teach model rocketry can inspire the next generation of leaders to pursue careers in aerospace and STEM.
To participants - by registering for this Web Seminar, you understand that AIAA and Estes will receive your email address to potentially follow up with you regarding product and resource information that may be of interest.
All individuals receive a certificate of participation and 100 NSTA activity points for attending the live seminar and completing the end-of-program survey. A certificate of participation is not awarded for watching the recorded version of the program.
We invite you to register for upcoming web seminars at NSTA.
View the Archive Video
To view the presentation slides from the web seminar and related resources, visit the resource collection.
Continue discussing this topic in the community forums.
Below are comments from individuals who attended the seminar:
- "Going over the process of sensemaking in context of model rockets was very helpful."
- "I appreciate relating the topic to careers to give students another reason to buy-in to the lessons in addition to the engaging nature of rocketry."
- "I never thought about teaching about rockets and I think that could be really fun for younger students as well!"
- "Prior to the webinar, I had not envisioned myself building a rocket and launching it. I believe that I can do this successfully."
A certificate of attendance was deposited into participants' account page for completing the evaluation form at the end of the program.
For more information contact: [email protected]