REVERE Award Finalist, PreK-12 Learning Group, Association of American Publishers!
If you’re charged with helping educators achieve the vision of the new science standards, this is the professional development resource you need. This book is chock-full of activities and useful advice for guiding teachers and administrators as they put the standards into practice in the classroom.
Written by three experts in professional development for science teachers, Introducing Teachers and Administrators to the NGSS
• Introduces the vocabulary, structure, and conceptual shifts of the NGSS
• Explores the three dimensions of the Framework—science and engineering practices, crosscutting concepts, and disciplinary core ideas—and how they’re integrated in the NGSS
• Provides classroom case studies of instructional approaches for students challenged by traditional science teaching
• Covers curricular decisions involving course mapping, designing essential questions and performance assessments, and using the NGSS to plan units of instruction
• Examines the connections between the NGSS and the Common Core State Standards
• Offers advice for getting past common professional development sticking points and finding further resources
Given the widespread changes in today’s education landscape, teachers and administrators may feel overwhelmed by the prospect of putting the new standards into practice. If you’re a science specialist, curriculum coordinator, or instructional coach who provides professional development, you will find this collection immensely helpful for heading off “initiative fatigue,” whether in an individual school or throughout a district.
Download a sample chapter
Type NSTA Press BookPub Date 5/1/2014Pages 248ISBN 978-1-938946-18-9Stock # PB350X