Discover what’s different about three-dimensional science teaching and learning!
Secondary school teachers working to enhance their knowledge and understanding of the Science and Engineering Practices from A Framework for K-12 Science Education, the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), or your state’s new three-dimensional science standards will not want to miss this book study.
The NSTA Online Book Study around the book Helping Students Make Sense of the World Using Next Generation Science and Engineering Practices starts September 13 and runs through October 4, 2022.
Helping Students Make Sense of the World Using Next Generation Science and Engineering Practices provides a description of the practices, written in clear, nontechnical language. Participants will attend four live web seminars and use the book to deepen their understanding of the science and engineering practices and have the opportunity to participate in asynchronous discussions with science education experts. Presenters will also share examples and stories to illustrate HOW this understanding can be translated into classroom teaching and learning.
The four live web seminars are scheduled from 7:00 – 8:30 PM Eastern time on the dates below:
- September 13, September 20, September 27, and October 4, 2022
During the book study participants have access to:
- A moderated private forum for group discussions with other book study participants
- Digital resources and all NSTA online community tools (My Library, My Profile, Community Forums)
- All archive versions of the web seminars to watch on-demand.
The book study presenters will address these three questions:
- Why does having students engage in science and engineering practices promote student learning?
- What does it look like in the classroom when students engage in the science and engineering practices to make sense of phenomena?
- How can educators effectively support students to engage in practices to make sense of phenomena?
Participants will receive a certificate from NSTA after each live web seminar (1.5 hours per web seminar) as evidence of their attendance and participation.
Have questions? Contact a member of the NSTA Team at (email@example.com).
Groups of secondary school teachers:
Science Leaders Can Sponsor Groups of Educators! Are you a state, district, or school leader working to enhance your teachers' knowledge and understanding of the Science and Engineering Practices in the NGSS? Sponsor a cohort of teachers to participate in the Science and Engineering Practices: A Professional Book Study for Secondary Teachers!
Cost to groups:
- $1,500 flat fee per cohort of 25 participants, regardless of their NSTA membership status. Additional participants (beyond 25) charged at $60 per person.
- Cost of the Helping Students Make Sense of the World Using Next Generation Science and Engineering Practices book per participant.
If you are interested in sponsoring a group of at least 25 individuals, please contact Flavio Mendez via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) for a quote.
Note: Rates below are for individual registration only. Participants must also purchase a copy of the book.