Forums

Forums / New Teachers / How I would like my students to remember me

New Teachers

How I would like my students to remember me

Author Post
Shayla Ybarra Shayla Ybarra 300 Points

As I am on my way to becoming a new Elementary teacher it is of the utmost importance that I make a world of difference in my students lives.  I would like any imput anyone may have to give me so that my students can remember me in their everyday lifes as they proceed to other grade levels.  I have always wanted to become a teacher who makes her students happy learners and give them the experiece that learning is essential to their future. 

Celeste Martinez Celeste Martinez 950 Points

Hi Shayla! Congratulations on starting your journey into becoming a new teacher! Teaching elementary is an amazing experience and you sound like you have a great heart for it! I'm in my fourth year of teaching kindergarten and I asked myself the same question my first year of teaching. The point is not to set out and focus on being the best teacher, but to be the best version of yourself for the kids in need. If you go in and be yourself, the kids will know your motives are genuine and they'll naturally gravitate towards you. Not every style of teaching works for every teacher, so find what works for you and be true to who you are. I was scared that my students would forget me as they went on in their elementary years, but I was shocked to be the one teacher who had kids running up to me hugging me even years after I taught them. Even students who were not from my classroom, somehow I reached them simply by being myself.  If your heart is in the right place, your kids will know. Focus on putting procedures in place to manage the kids, find out what works for you and your students, then let the joy of teaching take over and you will find that you'll make a difference in the ones that need it the most.

Elizabeth Inselmann Elizabeth Inselmann 1395 Points

Hi Shayla,

I am a preservice teacher just like yourself. I think it is not as important to have students remember us but, pass lifelong lessons. Teach them how to be self-advocates, build their self-confidence, and so many other social emotional skills. Students need these lessons for everyday life. You can teach these skills in simple ways. Another way to help create a positive learning environment is teacher-student relationships really getting to know your students and make an effort to understand your them.

All the best, 

Lizzy Inselmann

Gracie Whittaker Gracie Whittaker 410 Points

Hello Shayla! This is a question I have also asked myself as I'm entering my final phase of student teaching. What I have noticed is that students don't care about how smart you are and how much you know. They want to know that you care about them. When helping students with problems they are struggling with or even just reading test questions to students, they will feel as though they are important to you. I strive for my students to see every day how special they are and that I am always on their team. The hugs at the end of the day or even that rare smile from a reserved student will show you the difference you are making. 

A M A 660 Points

Hi Shayla! I am a Wartburg College student and am also planning to be an elementary teacher. This question brings two thoughts to mind for me, caring and authentic. You must be caring. Showing you care about each student and what they have to say will go a long way. Those relationships are critical to how the student learns as well. If you have a student who can not trust or respect you, they will not want to learn from you. Create that mutual respect and trust from day one and then follow this up with authentic learning. To help students carry the content with them throughout their life, they need memorable connection making moments. This means hands-on, minds-on, as much as possible. Think of how you learn best and what has stuck the most with you from school. Was the lecture in science class or a field trip to a botanical garden more memorable? I hope these tips help and best of luck to you in the field! - Ann Meirick

Emily Adamo Emily Adamo 515 Points

Hi Shayla!

I am also a preservice teacher and currently a junior in college at Monmouth University in New Jersey. For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to be a teacher for much of the same reasons that you listed. I truly want to make a difference in the lives of my students and be a teacher that students will remember fondly in the future! I think especially at the elementary level, you have an opportunity to make a lasting impact on your students because your job is to help students build a foundation of basic skills like math, reading, science, etc. that they will continue to build upon and use throughout the rest of their lives. Even though it can be overwhelming that we as elementary teachers are responsible for teaching our students such important skills, it also is really exciting. However, as important as teaching our students is, I think what is truly important as a teacher, and what matters most to the students, are the connections that we form with our students. We want to be role models for them, create a classroom that feels like home to them, and be there for them when they need us. I think that is what truly makes a lasting impact as a teacher and ensures our students will remember us and the kindness and care that we showed them. For me, I think even when the job gets tough, the relationship that I have with my students and the impact I am capable of making in their lives will be what keeps me going.

I wish you so much good luck in the future!

Emily

Lauren Karabin Lauren Karabin 280 Points

Hi Shayla! I am studying at Monmouth University and growing very close to my student teaching semester! I have the same goals that you mentioned and really want to make an impact on my students and make my classroom a positive environment. One piece of advice that a professor told me is, you have to take care of yourself and be fulfilled in order to bring that energy to your classroom. It's like the saying you can't love someone else unless you love yourself. Your students will be able to see the effects if your over stressed, tired, burnt out, etc. So ensure that you are taking care of yourself and doing what you need to stay happy! That way they will be able to have that feeling as well! 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers