Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Classroom managment with interactive science

Elementary Science

Classroom managment with interactive science

Author Post
Mercy Aguayo Mercy Aguayo 2600 Points

What is the best way to make science interactive and fun but still have classroom managment implemented?

Sam Adams Sam Adams 2418 Points

Setting up the expectations for two weeksand showing them that it can be interactive and fun, but that there are rules and procedures and they need to be followed. Example this for two weeks at the start of the class or when you start using this instruction. Other things that come with this include in class instruction, having pre-games and activities, and checking theur behaviors during so that the expectations are set in stone. 

Tracy Galle Tracy Galle 660 Points

Mercy, I am a first semester student teacher and I am working with some terrific teachers. I will tell you how they are able to handle their students and keep things moving at a nice pace without many distractions or incidents. At the beginning of the year the students, along with the teachers all came up with a set of rules that they all agreed upon. Next, the teachers have created a demerit system. The students are given demerits for bad behavior ranging from talking, not being on task, disruptive, etc. If they accumulate a certain number in a week, they have privileges taken away. Usually some sort of fun activity or treat (no science lab/experiment). Conversely, the children that exhibit good behavior are noted and given merits. If the student accumulates enough merits, they are given the privilege of choosing a prize. Usually something that involves time off from school work, rules, or a treat. It seems to work very well and they have some of the most well behaved classes I have ever seen. But, the students still have a good time and are able to enjoy the experiments and classroom activities. Good Luck!

Stefanie Thews Stefanie Thews 455 Points

I would agree with Tracy. I am a student teacher currently and for what I have seen in the classroom is students taken out during the time of the activity. I would say it is only for a certain amount of the lesson. My mentor teacher also uses Class Dojo to help with giving conduct marks if needed and positive rewards as well. Once a week if the student got no Dojo marks they get to have extra time during recess. Good Luck!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers