Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / NGSS Standards in Chemistry and using the AMTA Modeling Curriculum in Ohio

Next Generation Science Standards

NGSS Standards in Chemistry and using the AMTA Modeling Curriculum in Ohio

Author Post
Andrew Jewett Andrew Jewett 333 Points

Hello. I am an upcoming teacher, and the school I am at is utilizing the modeling science curriculum as made available by the American Modeling Teachers Association (AMTA). I have a rather pointed question for anyone who has taught using modeling; for the unit plans that I need to file in the spring for the edTPA certification, I suspect that I will need to include the NGSS standards alongside the Ohio Science standards. I will be student teaching CP and Honors Chemistry.

For anyone familiar with both modeling and these standards, do you have any tips for alligning the two? I have tried for my fall unit, but the two manners of approach seem to be at odds with each other; modeling is quite effective to engage students in scaffolding and learning the material through demos, activities, labs, and subsequent, but does not put an emphasis on the engineering standards of the NGSS.

Torrey Wenger Torrey Wenger 907 Points

I am teaching biology & physics using modeling instruction. You're entirely right - Engineering is something you're going to have to add, it's not built in to the AMTA-supplied materials. But other than that, it should be easy. The biology units even list the appropriate NGSS PEs.

Andrew Jewett Andrew Jewett 333 Points

Thank you. I will try to look into some of the NGSS standards that cover topics similar to some of the ones I teach in the spring, and try to incorporate them in amongst the other modeling material that I will be teaching.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers