Forums

Forums / Physical Science / Physics help needed

Physical Science

Physics help needed

Author Post
Jennifer Dial Jennifer Dial 965 Points

I have to answer this question for a class: are the hands of a clock accelerating?  Physics is not my strong suit.  Google is letting me down.   I am looking for an answer I can understand as a college educated professional, but also something I could offer to a younger student, say 4th-5th grade, because my son is now invested in finding this answer as well. Thanks in advance for your assistance! Jenn

Danielle Moore Danielle Moore 1770 Points

Greetings Jennifer.... Acceleration, which is a change in velocity, can be difficult for students at that age. Make sure you reinforce velocity as a change in speed and/or direction. Visually show the students the clock and have them to describe in writing the direction of the hands as they move. Change in direction yields change in velocity yields change in acceleration. Make the activity interacting and fun so the concept stays engrained.

Eric Guarin Eric Guarin 30 Points

Exactly, a change in direction requires acceleration, even if the speed remains the same. Another way to think about it is acceleration implies a "push" (or "pull") and things like clock hands or satellites or the moon cannot go around without some kind of push or pull (=gravity, in the case of satellites or the moon. In the clock, the push is a twist from the motor inside)

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers