Forums

Forums / Professional Learning / "Are we taught to teach the college student?"

Professional Learning

"Are we taught to teach the college student?"

Author Post
Jeff Goldfinger Jeff Goldfinger 165 Points

My topic title comes from a line in a research paper by Dr. Eugena Griffin from Hostos Community College, part of the CUNY system.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10668926.2019.1590252

Stitching together corroborating claims from other researchers, she provocatively asserts that scientists without an attached education degree are rarely, if ever, taught how to teach college students. Her paper discussed a method she created to 'captivate and maintain student's attention, along with supporting them on their academic journey.'

I earned my engineering undergrad degree from Northwestern nearly 40 years ago and dabbled at an M.S. in Comp. Sci. from the Naval Postgraduate School about 20 years ago so my exposure is a bit dated. But both of those experiences validated for me Griffin's findings. We've all been there. Brilliant scientist-practitioner-researcher. Terrible professor.

What can be done about this besides forcing all higher education science educators to earn an Ed. degree - clearly an unworkable solution?

Thoughts?

Jeff

John Le Golvan John Le Golvan 40 Points

Even though your post is a couple years old, I'll try to add something.  Maybe ask professors to come up with a real-world example of how the topic relates to life?  Maybe start the class with a question 'have you wondered why blah always (or never) happens?  Today we're going to look into the principle that drives that.'  It would especially help if the example is one that the professor was directly involved in (personal experience).  Also ask them to occasionally check-in with students to make sure they understand.

Demon Morgan Demon 40 Points

thank you for sharing this post with us. I am a coding assignment help provider. Our coding assignment Help expert understands the unique challenges students face .Our coding assignment help service is designed to assist students in overcoming the challenges of coding tasks. Whether you're grappling with complex algorithms, debugging errors, or understanding programming concepts, our team of experienced programmers is here to provide expert guidance. So don't worry.  we've got you covered. We take pride in delivering high-quality assistance that guarantees your success. Our experts have in-depth knowledge of programming.  We also provide online tafe assignment help.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers