Forums

Forums / Distance Learning / Distance Learning

Distance Learning

Distance Learning

Author Post
Dania Yanez Dania Yanez 550 Points

Due to the pandemic, students and teachers have had the challenge to learn and teach the material online. How can we, as educators, ensure that our future students are fully engaged in the material that we are teaching? For example, some of the students may become distracted with the technology in front of them and not pay attention in class. What are some recommended websites we can send our future students to utilize that will enhance their learning on a certain science topic that we are teaching? 

Rudi Rowe Rudi Rowe 30 Points

Hi, Dania! I understand you very well. As a research assistant, I can tell you that such feelings arise not only for you but for everyone nowadays, especially during the lockdown. I think you should try to take breaks from time to time to work on your study projects. For example, you might try doing yoga, meditating, or going for a walk. Also, watch your sleep: you need at least 8 hours of sleep a night to feel good. I also advise you to set priorities, to focus only on the things that are important and interesting for you. If you realize that you do not have time to do something, you can ask your classmates, consult professionals (you can read more about it here) or find answers in some educational blogs on the Internet. In any case, remember that you should always keep a balance between study and rest. I hope my advice will help you solve your problem.

Emma Busby Emma Busby 20 Points

I think technology, on the contrary, allows students to learn faster. For example, I really like the collection of materials for chemistry lessons at the Khan Academy. It's great)

Giselle Santos Giselle Santos 470 Points

Hi Dania, 

I would recommend having the students do more hands-on activities with their cameras on. As a tutor here at a school, I personally like to have the students do hands-on activities rather than having them work on a website. The students can angle their cameras where they have to put their cameras to their hands. Also, having the students do this will decrease the possibility of them cheating or getting distracted by other websites. A student can easily open different tabs. Try maybe doing more activities that do not require their computers other than to communicate with you virtually. 

Emma Busby Emma Busby 20 Points

Rudi, thank you! That was helpful

Sayda Inguanzo Sayda Inguanzo 490 Points

Hello Diana, unfortunately this pandemic seems like it is goin g to keep going for a while so we must find new ways to teach. In order for your students to be fully engaged with teaching you must first find topics they can relate to so they can be concentrated and keep focus on the lessons. A great website to feature students using technology and help you monitor their every move is called “Nearpod”. With this website you can control what they see while in the website and include activities and see the live process. Hope this helps:)

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers