Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / New Teacher

Elementary Science

New Teacher

Author Post
Hallie Seals Hallie Seals 850 Points

Hello you guys! I'm currently in student-teaching one, and I'm currently looking for science lessons that are interactive and sparks the interest of the students.  Do you have any suggestions?? 

Iris Lee Iris Lee 150 Points

[color=#000000][size=4][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Yes! An exploration approach is very engaging and is very much like what real scientists do. That's why I've been recommending the Phenomenon-Based Learning books sold by NSTA Press. The elementary version is targeted at grades 3-5, but many of the activities can be used at lower levels. Here’s a link to it: [/font][/size][/color] [color=#000000][size=3][font=HelveticaNeue, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif][size=4][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][/size][/font][/size][/color] [color=#000000][size=3][font=HelveticaNeue, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif][font=Verdana, sans-serif][url=http://www.nsta.org/store/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/9781936959389][color=#196ad4]http://www.nsta.org/store/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/9781936959389[/color][/url] [/font][/font][/size][/color] [color=#000000][size=3][font=HelveticaNeue, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif][size=1][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][/size][size=4][font=Verdana, sans-serif]You can see a free chapter: Go to that link and scroll down, under “Details,” you can see a link to read a sample chapter (on electricity). And if you click on that link, you get not only the sample chapter, but also the table of contents and the Introduction. The Introduction is very informative in describing how to present the activities in ways that will be both fun and educational for all types of students, along with suggestions for methods of assessment. [/font][/size][/font][/size][/color] [color=#000000][size=3][font=HelveticaNeue, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif][size=4][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][/size][/font][/size][/color] [color=#000000][size=3][font=HelveticaNeue, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif][size=4][font=Verdana, sans-serif]There are kits of materials designed to go with the book that are sold by Arbor Scientific. You can see them here: [/font][/size][/font][/size][/color] [color=#000000][size=3][font=HelveticaNeue, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif][size=4][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][/size][/font][/size][/color] [color=#000000][size=3][font=HelveticaNeue, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif][font=Verdana, sans-serif][url=http://www.arborsci.com/nsta-es-kits][color=#196ad4]http://www.arborsci.com/nsta-es-kits[/color][/url] [/font][/font][/size][/color] [color=#000000][size=3][font=HelveticaNeue, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif][size=4][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][/size][/font][/size][/color] [color=#000000][size=3][font=HelveticaNeue, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif][size=4][font=Verdana, sans-serif]The kits are expensive, but they give you enough materials for dozens of activities and would be a great investment for any school, even without the books. [/font][/size][/font][/size][/color] [color=#000000][size=3][font=HelveticaNeue, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif][size=4][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][/size][/font][/size][/color] [color=#000000][size=3][font=HelveticaNeue, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif][size=4][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Have fun![/font][/size][/font][/size][/color] [color=#000000][size=3][font=HelveticaNeue, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif][size=4][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][/size][/font][/size][/color] [color=#000000][size=4][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Iris[/font][/size][/color]

Johana Velasquez Johana Velasquez 2880 Points

A great project for a lesson will be about the sun and the amount of time on how the heat of the sun reaches to earth. For the experiment you can do solar ovens and students can cook s'mores at the end of the project. They can also be taking note while cooking their s'mores and question the sun ray. I believe students will love this lesson, I know I would'v growing up.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers