Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Classroom Management

New Teachers

Classroom Management

Author Post
Judith Avila Judith Avila 445 Points

What are some classroom management strategies you recommend for new teachers? I'm currently a substitute teacher who has a experienced some students trying to over run me when teaching the class, and would want to know more ways to prevent this. 

Gabrielle Afflitto Gabrielle Afflitto 290 Points

Currently, I am in graduate school for teaching. I am completing field hours in the classroom for my graduate classes and substitute teaching when I can. I have also experienced this power struggle as a substitute teacher and it can be difficult to manage. I received advice from the teacher that I am observing on how to manage this. She said to always utilize the classroom management strategy that is already in place in the classroom that you are substitute teaching in. The students will be accustomed to using this strategy and will understand the rewards that are associated with good behavior. The teacher that I am observing has a small bucket for each of her students and gives them pom poms to fill their bucket when they are engaging in good behavior, answer a question well, are on task, etc. So, I have found that utilizing positive reinforcement in the classroom is effective, especially for elementary students.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers