Forums

Forums / Life Science / Mini Green House

Life Science

Mini Green House

Author Post
Pamuela Galletti Pamuela Galletti 1765 Points

I love the idea of having a greenhouse in the classroom.  So, I have one now and am wondering if anyone has advice on what to put in it?

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

What class and grade level? You could make this a long-term project for the class to experiment with variables like soil pH, amount of light, etc. 

I always defer to something edible so herbs would be nice. 

Victoria Wang Victoria Wang 630 Points

I really like this idea of having a greenhouse! Encorportating this into the classroom is a really smart idea and allows students to not only work together to build and take care of this, it would also all students to see the effects of it. I also think that the addition of succulents, cacti, herbs, etc are a great idea!

Thanks!

Jillian Priess Jillian Priess 1085 Points

I would have a contrast of plants. The fact that you are putting living things in your classroom already makes it beneficial to the students. Have a succulent to discuss how it needs are different for a tulip that needs to water every day. You could even have the students germinating activity with your students and then have their plants be put in the greenhouse to see them grow.  

James Johnson James Johnson 95308 Points

Hi Pamuela!  Here's an idea that I've used before.  At about this time of the year, evergreens will drop their cones, so I would either gather them or have the kids gather them, then have the kids put them upside down in a cup.  Each kids would get their own cup that they would check every day.  They did journaling and charts during this phase.  When the cones dry out, they open up and eventually the seeds will drop out.  We then planted the seeds in plastic pots in our indoor greenhouse.  Once they sprout, you get little trees, which we planted around the school property during Arbor Day.  You can even apply for a certificate or other award from the National Arbor Day Foundation.  Kids loved it!

Almadelia Castizo Almadelia Castizo 2815 Points

Hi,

This greenhouse project seems great in learning about greenhouse and the state of Florida, more specifically the Everglades. There are many people that do not have access to it so it would be extremely hard to come by. But I love the idea!

Pamuela Galletti Pamuela Galletti 1765 Points

Thank you for the idea for National Arbor Day and the cones!  I teach 4th grade so this works out well for what I need.  Can I ask how big you indoor greenhouse is?  Mine is a mini 2X2.  

James Johnson James Johnson 95308 Points

Hi Pamuela.  My indoor greenhouse is disassembled, now, but it was about six feet tall and about five feet long.  It would take a little floor space but the kids really loved having it in the classroom and it was always full of little plants.  I always liked incorporating Environmental Education in my science class.  The kids loved the hands on activities and the critters.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers