Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / The sun simply rises upwards in the morning then sets downward at night.

Earth and Space Science

The sun simply rises upwards in the morning then sets downward at night.

Author Post
Brianna Flory Brianna Flory 120 Points

I am teaching about the way sun rises and sets. The misconception as shown in the title of this post, "The sun simply rises upwards in the morning and then sets downward at night". Is there anyone who can share about this misconception? Thank you, Preservice Teacher

Jason Chang Jason Chang 425 Points

Hi Brianna, I'm not completely sure I understand what you're asking here. If you don't understand the misconception, I think students can get into the thinking that the sun is moving around the earth, which kind of makes sense without knowing the positions of other objects in space. I did a quick search and found this website: http://beyondpenguins.ehe.osu.edu/issue/polar-patterns-day-night-and-seasons/common-misconceptions-about-day-and-night-seasons Hopefully that is helpful if you have any other questions or need help finding material for your lesson Good luck!

Cara Cook Cara Cook 5795 Points

I had a scientific expert visit the class with a model of the Sun, Earth, and Moon. All of that was good, but what really helped was the realistic picture of the Sun on the projector. The students turned slowly away and only peeked with their eyes. Then as we turned away, we talked about night time. The impressive thing is when you are slowly turning back and you peek. It is just like the sun is rising. What a great visual for the little ones!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers