Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Teaching Precipitation?

Earth and Space Science

Teaching Precipitation?

Author Post
Shelby Rearick Shelby Rearick 470 Points

I'm currently completing field experience in a 2nd grade classroom. I am writing a 5 lesson, science unit, over weather. My first lesson, I plan to teach students what weather is. They will be observing the weather outside and creating their own weather report to share with their peers. My 2nd lesson, is over temperature. Students will be reading thermometers and recording the temperature outside. For my 3rd lesson, I will be covering precipitation. The students will be creating a rain gauge and recording measurements over time. I'm having trouble introducing the lesson. I used a KWL chart to introduce my first lesson and a short video clip for my second lesson. I want to engage students into my 3rd lesson by reading them a book. Any suggestions on what books to read that cover precipitation? It is a second grade classroom; therefore, I don't want to overload them with information. My main focus of precipitation will be rain. Any ideas? =)

Robin Willig Robin Willig 5625 Points

Good morning Samantha- You sound like such a dedicated teacher! The only book that comes to mind is that book about raining meatballs. :) I can't remember the full title. I must need more coffee. I wanted to share with you that I tried a different type of KWL with my 5th graders last week. I had them draw a picture of what they thought was a physical change in matter at the beginning of the lesson (Engage) then we acted out physical changes (i.e. cutting a piece of paper, stretching a rubber band, and melting an ice cube) with every child representing a particle. This was the explain part of the lesson. They thought the "game" was fun and we ended up splitting into teams with the goal of acting out a physical change that the other team had to guess correctly. We discussed what was true of the particles in every situation. They saw that the particles themselves didn't change, only their speed and spacing changed. I then asked them to turn over the paper and draw an example of a physical change. We cleared up a few misunderstandings that period.

Samantha Coyle Samantha Coyle 2245 Points

Down Comes the Rain by Franklyn Branley Rain Came Down by David Shannon (author of the David books) The Little Raindrop by Joanna Gray The Storm Book by Charlotte Zolotow Some of these kind of go more so with the water cycle, but I see that hand and hand with precipitation.

Samantha Coyle Samantha Coyle 2245 Points

Throwing in a fun little read of the Judi Barrett series may have a fun little twist on weather for the students: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs Pickles to Pittsburgh: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 *Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 3: Planet of the Pies *Takes place on Mars, so not too related.

I just remembered the book! Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

Also...a great way to show the precipitation process in the classroom is to make a terrarium. The students will see the water condense on the top and eventually drop back down to the bottom of the closed system.

Shelby Rearick Shelby Rearick 470 Points

Thank you! I will definitely look into these books! =)

Zaira Trevino zaira trevino 1255 Points

So I found these books not sure if they will be of any help. Nonfiction Title: The Water Cycle by Robin Nelson Brief Summary This book uses photographs to describe the Water cycle. It shows how the sun heats water in places like the ocean, changes into a gas called vapor, rises into the sky and turns into droplets. The author then discusses how the droplets make clouds and when the clouds get full, it rains. She then goes on to explain the different kinds of places the rain falls goes and how the process starts all over again. Nonfiction Title: A Drop Around the World by Barbara Shaw McKinney Brief Summary: This book shows the water cycle through the journey of a raindrop around the world, in sky, on land, underground, and in the sea, in its liquid, solid, and vapor forms, as it supports life everywhere. It also shows the raindrop as steam or snow, inside a plant or animal, or underground, teaching the importance of the water cycle. Fiction Title: The Snowflake: A Water Cycle Story by Neil Waldman Brief Summary: This book uses the twelve months to talk about the water cycle and it follows one droplet on its’ journey through the stages of the water cycle. It also uses the seasons to show how rain and snow falls onto mountains, into rivers, on the earth, etc., is evaporated by the sun and once again becomes precipitation and the process repeats.

KRISTEN TROLINGER KRISTEN TROLINGER 325 Points

Here is a wonderful resource that I planned to use in my first grade classroom.

Attachments

Oil Spill! (Book Chapter)

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers