Forums

Forums / Informal Science / Bringing Science Home

Informal Science

Bringing Science Home

Author Post
Lindsey Hanna Lindsey Hanna 170 Points

As an aspiring teacher, informal science excites me because it allows students to take what they are learning in the formal classroom home with them to see science in their everyday lives. Those whose parents are involved get to explore it with their families and it makes informal science easier to see and accomplish. Other students who do not have such family lives do not get the same experience with informal science. What are some things that you have done or could potentially do to ensure that all students have positive home experiences with informal science? 

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Hi Lindsay -- You raise an interesting question about working with parents and the community to ensure that students have learning experiences beyond the classroom. Here is a blog that has some suggestions for 'home' work.

Mary B

Victoria Wang Victoria Wang 630 Points

Hi Lindsay,

I really agree with your statement! I also am a preservice teacher and I think informal science is so awesome for kids to be involved in in-home science in their everyday lives. Kids who may not have this type of environment at home still need to be able to have this in their lives. I think it is an important aspect for children due to science seen as a boring topic or not as well liked as some other subjects. I think that sending students home with small 'projects' or with ideas of in-home science that is easy to do and is made accessible to all students. It coule be as simple as recycling or checking lightbulbs or cleaning pennies with vinegar. It is important to ensure these kids are having positive experiences.

Melissa Biddinger Melissa Biddinger 435 Points

Hi Lindsey,

I completely agree with you about the benefit of informal science.  It is very important that students are able to connect what they learn in school to their experiences at home.  This will make content relevant and more meaningful.  With this being mentioned, you raise a great question because not all students have the same degree of family involvement and support.  However, as educators, we need to reach all students.  Although engaging in science with someone else can provide a very enriching experience, it is important that educators teach students that they can independently explore science.  Teachers can have students engage in activities that can be accomplished without a lot of adult supervision or needed materials.  Some activities that can be performed at home can include observing how a puddle on a sidewalk freezes overnight in the winter, recording the appearance of a tree near their home or in their neghborhood over the course of several months or a year, observing and drawing ice crystals/frost on car windows, and collecting rock samples near their house and observing their properties (color, luster, etc.).  No matter what activity you have your students do at home, it is very important that they know that science can be seen everywhere.  

~Melissa 

Tamar Devorah Tamar Devorah 399 Points

Hi Lindsey, 

I completely agree with the importance of informal science. Being able to see real-life examples of what students are learning helps reinforce their understanding and comprehension of what they have learned. Informal science is also helpful in showing students that learning doesn't have to be solely in a classroom and that they are constantly learning on a regular basis. I believe that parents should use positive and encouraging language when speaking to their children about learning and occasionally take them to parks or even just in their back yard to observe nature around them. Parents should also encourage their children to ask questions, even little ones, to better understand the world around them.

Hope this helps!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers