Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Beetles before butterflies and moths

Early Childhood

Beetles before butterflies and moths

Author Post
Peggy Ashbrook Peggy Ashbrook 10963 Points

Caring for and closely observing the babies (larvae) of the Tenebrio beetle (aka 'mealworms' although they are NOT worms) is a fun and effective way for children to learn about insect life stages and the process of metamorphosis before the more fragile butterfly larvae are introduced.
These small animals are safe to handle and won't set up housekeeping in your classroom if they don't all get put back into their bin habitat. As the babies grow, get bigger, and then change into their pupa form, children will notice these changes if they observe and count them every few days and use magnifiers to notice details. Counting is a way of collecting data--see the photo example and attached data collection sheet. (See my 2016 blog post for more on beetles.)

I wrote a blog post about children's books using terms such as 'pupa,' 'cocoon,' and 'chrysalis' and gave a short list that includes my recent favorites. Do you have a favorite book about moths, butterflies, or beetles?

Jenaya Cruz Jenaya Cruz 705 Points

Your blog post sounds like a fantastic way to engage children in the wonders of insect life cycles! It's wonderful to see educators embracing hands-on learning experiences like caring for Tenebrio beetle larvae. Not only does this provide a tangible way for children to witness metamorphosis in action, but it also fosters curiosity and a deeper understanding of the natural world. I will definitely keep this in mind, as I only thought about using caterpillars to explain the life cycle to my students. 

As for favorite books about moths, butterflies, or beetles, there are so many great options out there! One that comes to mind is 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' by Eric Carle. I see you put this one in your blog post! It's a classic that beautifully illustrates the transformation of a caterpillar into a butterfly, and it's been captivating young readers for generations with its colorful illustrations and simple, engaging storyline. Another gem is 'Are You a Butterfly?' by Judy Allen and Tudor Humphries. This interactive book invites children to imagine themselves as butterflies, guiding them through each stage of the butterfly life cycle in a fun and educational way. These books not only entertain but also educate, making them perfect additions to any classroom focused on exploring the wonders of the insect world.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers