Forums

Forums / Life Science / External Characteristics

Life Science

External Characteristics

Author Post
Kimberly Alvarez Kimberly Alvarez 315 Points

I am a student teacher from the University of Houston, and I was wondering if I could get some help on how to make my engage (opening to my lesson) more hands on. The TEKS is 1.10.A. investigate how the external characteristics of an animal are related to where it lives, how it moves, and what it eats. I currently had planned to have a discussion with the students about what external characteristics are, then transition into a discussion as to how they affect where animals live, how they move, what they eat. How can I make my engage more hands-on and fun?

Torrey Wenger Torrey Wenger 907 Points

I've got HS biology so I'm guessing my group is older? Have them work in groups to draw the most detailed living organism they can & label all the parts. Circulate around to get ideas & offer hints. (Most kids probably won't draw internal structures without a nudge.) Then either have them discuss their drawings - what's internal vs external & how do those things help their organisms survive - or draw a critter on the board & have them help you list & label the parts. You could follow it up with a visual quiz - pictures of things like noses & skeletons. A project I've done is making a see-thru person using layers of cut-up page protectors & sharpies (but regular paper works too). My kids do different body systems - skeletal, digestive, respiratory, etc - & have a drawing of a person as the "cover". That would reinforce the idea that there's lots more internal. (Drawing muscles just looked liked blobs that filled up the outline I gave them. Fair warning.) Enjoy figuring out what will work best! Yours, Torrey

Destiny Huggins Huggins 10040 Points

For an engage you could have a picture of an organism in the wrong environment such as a duck in the desert or a polar bear in the rainforest (some photoshopping might be required:) ) and some where the organism does belong such as a rabbit in the grassland. Ask students if that organism belongs in that environment and have them explain, hoping that they talk about the external characteristics. 

For an explore you could take them to the zoo. Print pictures of different animals and have them placed around the room. Tell the students the animals got out their environments and they need to returned. Students could do a gallery walk as a class  or in groups and they could write or talk about where that animal may live and what external characteristic helped them figure that out. If you are willing this lends itself to a great room transformation. You could even dress up like a zookeeper and have animals sounds in the background! 

For elaborate students could build an animal of their choice with play doh, legos or construction paper or just draw and organism in its environment and have students label the different external parts that help them survive in that environment.

Hope this helps and tell Dr. Thompson Destiny says Hello! 

GO COOGS!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers