Forums

Forums / New Teachers / How to keep them engaged

New Teachers

How to keep them engaged

Author Post
Marissa Leal Marissa Leal 810 Points

As we all know, elementary kids have a very small attention span so I know its important to always be keeping them engaged! What are some activities or fillers you guys like to do? Maybe some that can wake them up a bit if I see them getting distracted. 

Hello Marissa, elementary kids do have a very short attention span, so implementing a fun activity while still learning and practicing their learned material will keep them engaged. All elementary students want to do is move, so incorporating an activity that gets their blood flowing will interested in the topic and awake. A simple yet effective activity is to read them examples of the particular topic being discussed and make them stand up if they believe one choice and stay sitting down if they think its the other choice. This activity will not only keep them engaged, but it also serves as a good assesment for the teacher to observe who and who isn't grasping the information. 

Jazlynn Flores Jazlynn Flores 750 Points

Hello Marissa, some attention getters I like to use if students get off task are some short sayings that the students hear that allows them to understand that they need to give me their undivided attention. I like to use the 'Give me 5' method where I tell the students to 'Give me 5,' which will follow with me raising my hand in the air as I'm signaling the number 5 in the air. When students hear this signal they know that they need to stop what they're doing, stop talking, listen, and eyes are on the teacher as they raise their 5's in the air as well. If I feel that a lesson I will work on may be a little boring I like to include videos or hands on activities that will engage the students in their learning. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers