Forums

General Science and Teaching

Test review

Author Post
Haley Thomas Haley Thomas 855 Points

I'm teaching a standardized test review on electrical circuits for fifth grade later this week. How can I make in interesting and less like a boring old review session?

Erick McGinley Erick McGinley 830 Points

I went to a great workshop at the NSTA STEM convention in MN and learned about using conduit tape and thread to truly "create" individual projects. The teacher that presented gave an awesome story of one of her students. After learning in class, the student decided to add conductive thread and LED lights to add pizazz to her gymnastic outfit. The student set it up so that the faster she moved, the brighter the LED would shine. Talk about a lesson that hit home! While the ending of that story might not be what the rest of us should strive for, I think the take away was that using something like conductive tape and thread to teach about electrical circuits allows for the learning to reach into new and less stagnant lessons compared to textbook review lessons because they are so easy to manipulate and personalize. Even using in them conjunction with the standardized review should help add a newness and excitement to the lessons (and hopefully richness and longevity for the students understanding). Who knows what they may take away from it!?

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers