Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Teaching science to Special Needs Students

Elementary Science

Teaching science to Special Needs Students

Author Post
Amy Lopez-Chapa Amy Lopez-Chapa 720 Points

As a future special education teacher, one thing I want to do is to make science fun and engaging for my students. I want to be able to meet their goals and make sure they understand the content. I know I will have to make accomidations and modifications in order for my students to be successful in this subject. I also want to make it as safe as possible for them during science experiments. What are some ways I can make sure to modify or accomadate to them so they fully grasp the material and how can I make sure they are safe in the process of learning?

Gabriela Hernandez Gabriela Hernandez 420 Points

Hey Amy, reading the NSTA Special Focus Sites they have different strategies/accommodations for students with different disabilities. I find it very interesting and informative. An Organizational Accommodation that I read up on was one I want to implement in my future SPED classroom. It is to give children a consistent and organized place to store materials when they are finished using them. With experience and understanding of a SPED classroom, this does really help with routine and organization. A Visual accommodation to use as visual cues such as words or pictures for organizing personal belongings, containers, or shelves. These can be the beginning steps of having a safe process of learning for our students. 

Kimberly Zeron Kimberly Zeron 350 Points

Hi,Amy 

I think that that as a future educator when going to those ARD meetings is very important to be listen carefully when someone is talking. This will helps us look at the bigger picture but also the struggles that individual student is having. In every meeting they give us information on how to make modifications or accommodate the work load for the student.In that way we know what to give and what not give the student when they are doing individual or group work. You can put a safety rules list in the classroom to have safety in the classroom. 

Grecia Elizondo Grecia Elizondo 150 Points

Hello Amy. I currently studying for bilingual education. There are natural language barriers that occur when trying to teach anything, realy. However, there are barriers when teaching special education as well. I believe that as educators, one of the greatest traits we can learn is to adapt to any given circumstance. Science is a language and I believe it is to be enjoyed by everyone. 

Robyn Soronow Robyn Soronow 13865 Points

Hi Amy. That is a great question. It depends on what you are doing. Some tips I always remember is to test out any science expiriment yourself before you give it to your students, read all safety materials with whatever products you are using, keep safety materials (such as a fire extinuisher) in your room, and teach your students about safety (which is a really big one). I would spend some time teaching your students how to keep themselves safe, such as instructing them to read directions and on how to use safety equipment. 

Jessica Rodriguez Jessica Rodriguez 520 Points

Hello Amy, 

I am still a student so I can not give you any tips in regard to my own experience in the classroom. But, I have added a great article that I found very interesting. You can find great tips to use when doing a lap to modify your lesson to meet your student's needs. 

I hope you find it helpful!

Danielle Zuniga Danielle Zuniga 400 Points

Hello Amy,

I am a college student and I have learned that NSTA has an informative article under Special Focus Sites called Students with Disabilites.  It gives the future and present educator strategies and accommodations best practices to follow to help students with any disability.  It also covers safety procedures.  Good luck.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers