Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Sub Binder

New Teachers

Sub Binder

Author Post
Kristina Underwood Kristina Underwood 580 Points

Hello all. This is my first year teaching after having my daughter. I'm very worried about unexpected absences due to her being sick. I am in the process of making a sub binder but I would like to have some good time fillers and activities where I don't have time to lesson plan for a sub due to last minute emergencies. Does anyone know where I can find a bunch for chemistry and physical science? Or if you have any could you send me a copy? Any activities where the kids are still working on science and inquiry skills but aren't topic specific and require no chemical materials (I don't like subs doing labs) would be perfect. Activities with materials that are all common office equipment would be great. (Ie. paper, paper clips, magnets, cups, etc.) Thank you all!

Isaac Field Isaac Field 250 Points

Similar question from a senior ES Ed Major. I am glad I found this thread because I have heard my entire college career about sub folders but no one actual says what to include other than lessons for the day missing. Great insight given already about fillers for unexpected absences but should anything else be included? I have done countless observations and everybody is different and a few times the emergency plans are in there. Is this something I should include? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Here are some other ideas for sub folders.

Thank you so much Mary! That really did help put things in perspective in what to include.

Thanks Tina! I hadn't even thought to include making a note of any students that could help answer procedural questions and even noting which students can be a "problem" student. Since you seem to have experience with both a typical classroom and a sub classroom; also since you mentioned listing students that could cause problems. Do you think it is practical to maybe list ways in which a student typically misbehaves or ways in which to handle their situations.

I hadn't thought of it as a privacy thing disclosing that information but would it truly matter who the sub was. Wouldn't FERPA laws still apply to the subs as well or would it be a school by school policy? I know the easy solution would be to not disclose the information but isn't vital that subs also have access to important information such as IEPs and behavioral notes?

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers