Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / How to motivate Elementary students to explore science outside of the classroom?

Early Childhood

How to motivate Elementary students to explore science outside of the classroom?

Author Post
Ashley Gonzalez Ashley Gonzalez 675 Points

Hello! I am a future educator and would like to know ways in how to motivate students to explore science outside of the classroom. I believe that students should be motivated to learn about science outside of the classroom because it can create closer relationships to their siblings/parents (through bonding) and can motivate them to go outside more. Any advice would help, thank you in advance.

Mary Lynn Hess Mary Hess 12258 Points

First of all, congratulations on your accomplishments! Teaching is such a rewarding profession. 

Kids are so much fun to teach. They are so curious about everything. With that in mind, find things that capture their interest. I'm such a fan to get kids in the outdoors. There is so much to discover. See the attached links.

You can also use literature books to drive your science instruction. Here are a few of my favorites for the primary grades:

* The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle - order caterpillars or find them in your environment to bring into the classroom to watch go through their life cycle.

* Muncha! Muncha! Muncha! by Denise Fleming - incorporate the Engineering Design Process by reading the first part of the book, then have students talk about Mr. McGreeley's problem, brainstorm ways to solve his problem and build a prototype, students use pop-up bunnies to test their designs.

* The Curious Garden by Peter Brown - plant seeds and watch them grow. 

Have fun!

Mary Lynn

Attachments

How Does Your Garden Grow? (Article)

Butterfly Life Cycle NatGeo (External Website)

Butterfly Activity (External Website)

Outdoor Benefits (External Website)

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers