Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Attention of Students

Early Childhood

Attention of Students

Author Post
Tiffani Lambert Tiffani Lambert 3585 Points

Hi everyone! I am going to be doing student teaching next semester and I was wondering how you all were able to keep all of the students' attention for the complete lesson? I have seen first hand how difficult it can be since class sizes can range between 20-30 in some districts. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice they would like to share? Thank you!. 

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

This is a very relevant question and one that has been asked for a long time. As a student teacher, you walk into a classroom that is lead by another teacher who has already set expectations and rules. Hopefully, your cooperating teacher has good classroom management skills. You will need to show students from the very beginning that you have high expectations for student behavior and engagement. I can promise you that having 100% student engagement is rare but having the majority of the class engaged can and does happen. When I see students are disengaged or have that glazed look in their eyes, I stop the lesson for a few minutes and have everyone stand up, pair up, and share with their shoulder partner something that they just learned. (Kagan Strategies) Then we can get back to the lesson. Students learn better through doing and through socializing.

Peggy Ashbrook Margaret Ashbrook 10963 Points

Hi Tiffani, Science learning for 20-30 children ages 2.5-8 years should be either in small groups or in centers where the science concepts and content are part of the center. Provide small clipboards or "journals" made by folding a few sheets of blank paper in half so children can draw and write their observations. You decide ahead of time how many children are a good fit for each area. A few ideas to get you started: Library center: lots of fiction and non-fiction books with illustrations and photos, including a few animal/plant ID books. Blocks area: wooden unit blocks and photos of interesting and familiar structures. Lengths for ramps and small cars or balls to roll down them. Table tops: more blocks, math games and manipulatives. Seed and plant catalogs and scissors to cut out favorite ones or just to cut. Animal observation center: a window and bird feeder, fish tank, or a container habitat for roly-polies (pill bugs) or beetles (larvae are mealworms)--magnifiers everywhere. Writing center: a variety of writing/drawing materials so children can experience the properties of pencil lead compared to crayons, etc. A flower or interesting seed pod, or rock to draw and write about. Sensory table: sand for feeling and building with--first dry and later add a little water to make it damp. Or water and tools to move it: funnels, tubes, scoops, turkey basters... Read aloud: A book with a dramatic story and large simple illustrations if you are reading to the whole group. Give them something to mark their space on the floor especially if it's at the beginning of the year and don't expect them to sit still--they will pay attention while fidgeting. Imaginative play area: this can become a science lab with picture recipes to follow or a hospital with x-ray film (children's drawings) and stethoscopes. When you have your own classroom you will set the expectations at the beginning of the year for behavior and use of materials. See the NAEYC journals and website for helpful blog posts and articles. Read [url=https://www.edutopia.org/discussion/32-strategies-building-positive-learning-environment]advice from other teachers[/url]. Learn about [url=http://teachstone.com/resources/free-books-online-learning/]the CLASS[/url] and watch a few of the [url=https://class.teachstone.com/video_library/video_prek/vid_template_moodle.php?dimension=1]Teachstone videos[/url]. Best wishes, Peggy

Peggy Ashbrook Margaret Ashbrook 10963 Points

And of course I should have said that one "center" is the great outdoors! Even if you only have 30 minutes a day outdoors rather than the preferred 60 minutes to all day, outdoor learning is rich with experiences. While an entire class is outside you can engage small groups in using magnifiers to closely examine anything safe that interests them while the others play in a play area. A "nature walk" or walk around the block with an entire group can focus on observing and describing leaf shapes or the sky, beginning an exploration that can later focus on a specific aspect the children observed.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers