Forums

Forums / STEM / STEM lesson with literacy connection

STEM

STEM lesson with literacy connection

Author Post
Emily Williams Emily Williams 20 Points

Hello everyone I am a student studying elementary education and I am looking to find a good STEM lesson that I could tie to the literacy connection, Dragons Love Taco's. I have found a few tied to engineering, but looking for a different focus. Thanks a bunch! 

Diana Potts Diana Potts 505 Points

Hi Emily-

This book is pretty adorable. I can see a lot of possibilities for students collecting data in their community such as how many teachers/staff/peers like spicy vs mild tacos then graphing the data. They can be guided to make inferences and further questions.

For a STEM challenge I was inspired by the last page of the book where the dragons are rebuilding a house.

You could start with students making a connection by having students observe the shape(s) that makes their home. They bring back their information to class and observe patterns.  If you want to take it one step further it could expand into the difference between dimensional shapes. Encourage students to make connections to each other through the shapes they live in. OR shorten this by having students observe pictures of different houses that are common in their community. What shapes are most used? What shapes aren't used? Why? Why do engineers choose these shapes when they are building/designing homes. To scaffold- have a cut out of a square, triangle, rectangle, circle and so on to hold on the pictures. 

Then, challenge students to rebuild a home after a spicy taco party! They would build a house frame with simple and safe materials such as rounded tooth picks, pasta noodles and gummies, etc.. The challenge is to build a house that holds as many taco shells as possible. 

You could tie in geometry (math!) with some pre-challenge exploration of the strength of shapes such as triangle and squares. 

If you go ahead with the idea, let me know how it turns out or if you used bits of the idea too.

Good luck and have fun!

Diana Potts

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

What great ideas, Diana! This sounds like a great integrated STEM lesson. 

Cassidy Rawson Cassidy Rawson 3265 Points

Wow, Diana! I love all of the cross-curricular connections you made through this lesson. I will definitely be trying this in my own classroom. Thanks for the idea!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers