Forums

Forums / University/College Professors / Assessing Nature of Science

University/College Professors

Assessing Nature of Science

Author Post
Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

I come across a lot of examples of teaching NOS activities: 

I'm interested in hearing from the community how you evaluate NOS in the higher education classroom. Has anyone used the Views of Nature of Science Questionnaire or another validated assessment tool? 

Carl Ferkinhoff Carl Ferkinhoff 71 Points

I have not hear of the Views of NOS Questionnaire before. I have used the CLASS and E-CLASS survey's that were specifically designed for assessing students ideas about the nature of physics and physics laboratory experiences, respectively, in post secondary settings. I believe there are varients for other contents as well.

One note is that assessments focus really on the percieved view of the field, so I am not actually sure how specific NOS activities, that might have students engage in the nature of science more broadly will affect the outcome. The research body on the CLASS suggestions that students views only become more reflective of the true nature of physics if they are in a course with investigative and inquiry based experience. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers