Forums

Forums / Chemistry / Common Core Question

Chemistry

Common Core Question

Author Post
Ashley Trudeau Ashley Trudeau 1410 Points

Hi all! My chemistry class is learning about types of chemical reactions right now, and I came across something in the unpacked common core that confused me. Under standard Chm.2.2.3, "Analyze the law of conservation of matter and how it applies to various types of chemical equations (synthesis, decomposition, single replacement, double replacement, and combustion)" was this objective: - Use reference table rules to predict products for all types of reactions to show the conservation of mass. To what reference table are they referring? There are countless chemistry reference tables, and I haven't found one directly for the common core. I thought it might mean solubility rules, but those are mentioned by name in another objective shortly after. Any ideas?

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Ashley, Like you, I haven't found a reference table that is specifically written for the unpacked common core. My interpretation of the standard is to use any reference table that includes information about the rules to predict products. I've attached the reference table that I use most often. If you scroll down to page 6, you see the "Guidelines for Predicting the Products of Selected Types of Chemical Reactions". I think the big idea here it that your students understand 1) all mass is contained by atoms and since atoms cannot be created or destroyed, then neither can mass and 2) information about the products produced by different types of chemical reactions can be found on reference table (and then how to use the reference sheet to predict the products of different types of reactions). Hope that helps! Maureen

Attachments

Ashley Trudeau Ashley Trudeau 1410 Points

Fantastic! That looks like exactly what it was talking about. Thanks a lot!

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Ladies, I thank you, too, for providing additional information on how to decipher and use the common core in science.

Treena Pieper Treena Pieper 440 Points

I would love to incorporate chemistry, but i havent seen much in my pacing guide. Definitely need to touch base with my department chair.

Chris Leverington Chris Leverington 4035 Points

It could also refer to an activity series...like this one: http://img.docstoccdn.com/thumb/orig/113129835.png In a single replacement reaction metals will only replace metals below them in the activity series. Ex: If i put aluminum in a copper chloride solution it will form aluminum chloride and copper metal. however, if I put copper in an aluminum chloride solution, nothing would happen.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers