Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Keeping Students Engaged

Elementary Science

Keeping Students Engaged

Author Post
Laura Garcia Laura Garcia 400 Points

Hi everyone, my name is Laura Garcia and science is one of my favorite subjects. I think its a fun and engaging topic that has many different branches to talk about and activities that could be done. That being said, many students in elementary dont really have a dedicated time for science, especially in the younger grade levels. The younger grade levels are usually always focused on reading and writting and math, but how can I dedicate time to science in an engaging level without disrupting the course of the day? 

Emily Boyd Emily Boyd 1125 Points

Laura, you make a great point. As a third grade teacher, I struggle to devote an adequeate amount of time to science in the instructional day. Our master schedule technically only allows me 30 minutes to get science in. The issue is it falls right after math, so if the math lesson goes over it automatically cuts into the alloted science time. So far, I have planned my science lessons around my math lessons. If it is a lighter math lesson, I plan more for science. By doing this, I can make sure to cover the standards. I plan to integrate some math and science lessons next year since I am more familiar with the math curriculum now. 

Stephanie Garcia Stephanie Garcia 530 Points

Hi Laura, I agree with you. In the Elementary years the kids are a lot more focused on reading and doing math, but I think part of the fault could be the teacher. The students think that reading and math are more important because teacher will focus more on only reading and math and mention that reading and math are the 'fundamentals' of life and they leave science and social studies aside. I think that every subject should have its respected time in the daily learning of the child. Everything should be taught as equally as important to the children because everything they are learning is the fundamental to their knowledge. A good teacher will demonstrate to the children that science is important and I think that connecting science to the daily life of the children can help them make connections and build a understanding that science is just as important as everything else they are learning. Helping the children make connections between science and their daily life could help build that dedication that they need to build with science.

Madison Baker Madison Baker 555 Points

Laura and Stephanie, 

I also struggle with having students focus on the 'non-core' subjects. In my case it is Social Studies (I don't teach Science), but I am hoping to move to a Science and Social Studies only position next year. It is very important to encourage students to make real world connections with all subjects, but especially the subjects school systems do not want us to spend a lot of time on.  

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers