Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Exploration Zone

Earth and Space Science

Exploration Zone

Author Post
Robin Willig Robin Willig 5625 Points

Has anyone set up a shared space for scientific exploration in their school? A place where teachers could take their students to study a topic such as soil erosion from running water or tubs of water to study the impact of waves on sand? We want to create a "maker-space" with materials to create engineering solutions for problems, but I'd like it to also be a scientific concept exploration too. Ideas?

Antonio Chaves Antonio Chaves 150 Points

I do not know how relevant this is to what you need. I have a video and write up (attached) of an activity I designed for measuring soil texture. Even though the activity does is not done outdoors (but you go there to get the samples) and does not directly measure erosion, it does measure run off activity, which is directly proportional to erosion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JigmCxM6Z1s

Attachments

E,D,S_soil.pdf (1.76 Mb)

Robin Willig Robin Willig 5625 Points

Wow! Great job Antonio! I'm definitely going to try some of those soil investigations with my students.

Lesley Jackson Lesley Jackson 2325 Points

This is a great lesson - thanks for sharing.

Amber Escobedo Amber Escobedo 680 Points

Great lesson and activity for students! Your video is very clear and I really like that the materials required are inexpensive. Thanks for sharing!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers