Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Earth and Space

Elementary Science

Earth and Space

Author Post
Priscilla Braham Priscilla Braham 60 Points

Since weather and climate are similar topics how can I get students to be able to differentiate between the two?

Hi. As far as I know 'Weather' is used to denote long term conditions, and 'Climate' for short term conditions. Wish you all the best. Sincerely Guruprasad.

Elizabeth Mejia Elizabeth Mejia 180 Points

Hi Priscilla, 

From what I know is that 'weather' is what conditions the atmosphere in a short period of time while 'climate' is a longer period of time. 

Pricilla Gonzalez Pricilla Gonzalez 45 Points

Hi Priscilla,

The best way to help your students to differentiate between Weather and Climate is by simplyfing it based on grade level/understanding; Weather being a short term variation in the atmosphere or 'day-to-day' change, while Climate is weather averaged over a period of time. 

Juanita Garza Juanita Garza 180 Points

Hello Priscilla,

Before starting the lesson, showing videos on both topics can help students get a better understanding. After the videos, you can start the lesson by having a class discussion or giving assignments to the students over the videos.

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

NOAA has some good resources on differentiating between climate and weather: 'Whereas weather refers to short-term changes in the atmosphere, climate describes what the weather is like over a long period of time in a specific area.' One of their webpages compares the two concepts in terms young children can understand --  What’s the Difference Between Weather and Climate?  

Mary B

Maribel Manzanares Maribel Manzanares 190 Points

Hello Priscilla,

What you can do is explain the difference between both and use visual examples like showing a video. I think that by allowing the students to see what climateand weather are, they will be able to get a better understanding of them.

Maribel M

Jailene Quintanilla Jailene Quintanilla 205 Points

Hello Priscilla, 

As we know climate can be told over a long period of time and weather changes day by day. I would say that you can teach students to differentiate between both by making an introduction, showing them videos, and doing several activities. At the end you can ask students questions and clairfy anything. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers