Forums

Forums / STEM / STEM Lesson

STEM

STEM Lesson

Author Post
Julia Gebert Julia Gebert 733 Points

I am currently working on a STEM lesson. My lesson is making a catapult out of popsicle sticks with a spoon. What are some informal and formal assessment that I can use during my STEM lesson. 

Alivia Meier Alivia Meier 1493 Points

Hello! I love your STEM lesson idea, I think your students will love it too! When thinking about formative assessment for STEM projects it can seem like they are nearly impossible to get. However, there are a few ways that you can take a formative assessment on a STEM project. One of these could be by simply usuing observation as a form of assessment in the classroom. You can observe how your students are doing, where they are struggling, and how they are problem solving through it. Another type of assessment you could use would be a journal reflection. In my classroom studetns have science journals where they right down what they observed, what they did, and what they think about it usuing a specific set of scientific terms and vocabulary. Usuing the vocabulary and the effort they put into the journal entry is all considerded when they are collected for a grade. There are I'm sure other things you could do, but these were the first that came to my mind! I hope this helps you, and good luck on your project!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers