Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Reluctant Students

General Science and Teaching

Reluctant Students

Author Post
Chloe Nixon Chloe Nixon 950 Points

Hello! I am a preservice teacher at Wartburg College. I was wondering if you guys could help give me some strategies on how to work with reluctant learners? How do I engage them to participate in science or really any content area? If I tried getting to know their interests, talking to them, trying to find ways to help them become more engage, and none of that worked, what do I do? It's not like I can force them to do it. Thank you!

April Gonzales April Gonzales 20 Points

Hi Chloe! Thank you for your post. I am a first year teacher (sort of, I just started last week), with experience as a substitute teacher and a practicum student. I gained some insight from my past mistakes, so I gave my students a questionnaire on my first day with them after I told them about myself. I refresh my memory by reading their answers regularly. If there is a child I am having difficulties with, whether connecting emotionally or academically, I refer to their questionnaire so I can greet them at the door using interest they have. I gave them the opportunity to let me know what they have enjoyed and not enjoyed in the past while in science class. Then I explained to them that I will try my best to ensure everyone will regularly have an activity they enjoy during the lesson. I also give them opportunities to create something using whatever medium they choose using the knowledge and skills they have learned.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers