Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Keeping Students Engaged

Early Childhood

Keeping Students Engaged

Author Post
Vanessa De la o Vanessa De la o 530 Points

Hello, my name is Vanessa. I would love to teach kindergarten once I graduate in about a year. My question pertains to the engagement of young students, and how we can help these students more interested in the classroom. That is one of my biggest worries at the moment, so I would like to hear some strategies to get the younger students engaged in the lessons. 

Elizabeth Rivera Elizabeth Rivera 460 Points

Hi Vanessa, last semester I did student observations and noticed the kids were very engaged and focused. The teacher had carpet time where they sit and sing in the morning, the had hands on math centers where and each group would rotate maybe every 10-15 mins! A lot of hands on and showing them videos will keep them engaged and not let them get too bored. 

Monica Powers Monica Powers 1535 Points

Hello Vanessa, my name is Monica. I currently teach kindergarten at a rural elementary school. Engaging students at any age is so important for them to absorb the content being taught. I have found the following suggestions to help with that engagement and attention during my lessons: turn and talk opportunities with a table partner, the opportunities to tie physical movements to an idea being taught, brain breaks when needed, and making the lessons as hands-on or entertaining as possible. It is necessary to engage each student by asking questions and allowing critical thinking. I am still learning every day, but this has helped so much. This is my second year teaching and I have noticed a huge difference since last year as I incorporate more and more tips. Thank you for the inquiry.

Angela Cardenas Angela Cardenas 470 Points

Hello Vanessa when I was doing some of my practices at a Pre-K 4 clasroom I was tasked with conducting a sink or float activity which was a very fun and engaging activity. The children where able to predict before and test thing out themselves .The kids loved the activity because it was hands on and they got to try an object of their choice as well. That beong said make sure to have a cover over the tub of water in between small groups so kids don't get any impulses of trying something else .

Madison Farley Madison Farley 1075 Points

Hey Vanessa! First year kindergarten teacher here, I will say trying to maintain 20 little minds in a classroom can be a challenge, especially your first year. You learn so much about what works and doesn't work and I do believe each year there will be some variation, as not all students respond the same. However, a few things that seems to keep my students interested are: smelly spots (chapstick on the back of their hand), treasure box reward cards (get a stamp for good behavior and when you fill up your card, you get to go to treasure box), frequent positive praise, fun 'repeat after me,' brain breaks (active youtube videos) between lessons, and I even pick a friend at the end of each lesson to hop a few times on a small workout trampoline. We also do something called 'hall of fame,' when I see a student actively participating, I tell them that they can go write their name on the hall of fame board. Hopefully at least one of these can help you in your future classroom! :)

Ali Georgelos Ali Georgelos 160 Points

These are some very good ideas. I would love to implement these in my classroom someday. I am currently working towards my degree and will keep these engagement ideas in mind. I could see how the students would enjoy these activities to calm down in between instruction times.  

Merlin Cunningham Merlin 30 Points

During my time spent practicing in a Pre-K 4 classroom, I was assigned the duty of leading an engaging and entertaining sink or float activity. The kids could already make educated guesses and put their theories to the test.The children thoroughly enjoyed the exercise due to its hands-on nature and the opportunity to experiment with an object of their choosing. To prevent children from getting bored or doing something else, it's a good idea to cover the water container in between little groups, as that beong mentioned. 

Thank

Thanks, I'm also practicing but don't have any ideas yet

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers