Forums

Forums / Life Science / Interactive Science Simulations for Life Science

Life Science

Interactive Science Simulations for Life Science

Author Post
Sue Garcia Sue Garcia 42675 Points

Sometimes kids just "don't get it" with our power points, video clips, textbook examples, and so forth. For me teaching 6th graders is extra challenging because some of these students are still thinking only in the "concrete" mode and content is bridging into the "abstract". The bridge between concrete and abstract takes patience and trial-and-error (what works best for individual learners). I have found that simulations, that the students can actively manipulate over and over again, shifting variables as they go, is one of the best ways for them to bridge this gap. One of my favorite simulations is a physics simulation, but there are many Life science simulations also at this site. It is called "Energy Skate Park". This simulation is about a skate board park in which the students can change several variables (speed, mass, and distance)that relate to the change between potential and kinetic energy (and thermal energy). At the same time, it displays several different types of graphs that react to the changes that the students enact upon the simulation. My students love it. After the initial teaching, I put this on my Smart-board and allow students access. They tend to go over and over the parts that seem to confuse them, with their peers explaining what is happening. At the end of the Unit, almost all of my students scored perfectly over the concepts dealing with potential and kinetic energy. I know there are many more excellent simulations available. Let use this post and get list of one's that you have found to be useful for Life Science. You will find quite a few simulations at this site, in all of the science fields (Life, Physics, Chemistry, etc...), and useful for all grade levels. This Thread is cross-posted in the other Forums to allow more specific simulations for each field to be developed. Attachments Interactive Simulations for Science (0.00 MB)

Attachments

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

What a great resource, Sue. Thank you for sharing that site. I look forward to hearing about other great sites teachers are using to teach life science concepts.

Heidi McAllister Heidi McAllister 465 Points

Fanastic!

Patty McGinnis Patricia McGinnis 25635 Points

This article includes a list of several websites that have science simulations that can be used in class

Patricia found an article that includes a list of several websites that have science simulations that can be used in class. I teach Middle School and would not have seen this article unless someone pointed it out to me because it is found in the college journal for NSTA...not the middle school version. After checking out the article and the websites it listed I feel that this article (with it's listed websites) is also appropriate for both middle school and high school teachers. The article is valuable to just read also. Check it out! Teaching with Java Applets: Using Online Demonstrations in Large Classes of Nonscience Majors (Journal Article)

Mary Hannig Mary Hannig 2935 Points

I love the idea of using simulations in the classroom. These cover a broad spectrum of topics that would engage students easily in a fun way. What a great way to pique their imagination and curiosity. I would definitely utilize this resource in my classroom.

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

The website PhET Interactive Simulations has several different simulations that can be used in class on either an interactive whiteboard or by students on computers. Another great tool is virtual dissection labs.

Although not considered an interactive simulation, in this web seminar, "The Virtual Lab", is a site in which you can download a program that allows you to view slides of various objects and organisms under an electron microscope. These images then can be projected on a Smartboard. The images can be zoomed in/out, moved, and in some instances viewed through a variety of filters. This allows the students to "see" specimens that are usually only observed with classroom microscopes. I use both the electron specimen with the one's my students observe under our classroom microscopes. We then compare the two slides. I have found this makes my students much more observant of the specimens we are studying. It is a great tool. There are some draw-backs: 1)there are a limited number of slides that can be downloaded, however I have not gone to this site yet and not found a slide that I could use, 2) the program needed to load these slides is huge! I put mine on a separate flash-drive and use it that way-it takes up too much room on my hard drive, and 3) the slides take a while to save. However, once saved on the flash-drive, they come up fine. Another great thing about the available slides, there are slides for all divisions of science. I love the Lunar, Mars, Meteorite (view this slide with filters that single out specific minerals), and Space Shuttle tile samples. Just another tool to make science more "real"....and fun!

Web Seminars Collection (2 items)
Ravi Dinakar Ravi Dinakar 175 Points

Hi, I have created interactive apps as teaching tools which students can use on their laptops, iphones, androids, or ipads. They love apps in generally, and anything high tech, but in particular I try to make them fun and entertaining. It takes a little bit of practice and some knowledge of Flash and HTML, but it can be very useful. Students can go over course material on their iphones where ever they are; they don't need to carry around books or a laptop.

High School Journal Collection (1 item)
Life Sciences Collection (1 item)
Jennifer Rahn Jennifer Rahn 67955 Points

Sue, Do you have a link to "The Virtual Lab?" It sounds very interesting.

Gerry Clarin Gerry Clarin 2125 Points

Teaching with Java Applets: Using Online Demonstrations in Large Classes of Nonscience Majors (Journal Article) This journal article was very interesting. I liked how they mentioned using Java Applets and assigning them for HW.

Jason Okamoto Jason Okamoto 1090 Points

Wow! These are some really cool resources! I teach the fourth grade and I have definitely found that students struggle to understand some of these life science concepts. Having had time and more experience than most of my students, I sometimes forget how abstract concepts that seem 'simple', like food chains and webs, can actually be quite complex! The use of simulations and interactive technology is a great way to have students get a chance to 'experience' more of the conceptual stuff. In Hawaii, the state has paid for a subscription to Discovery Education. There are some really cool virtual labs and exploration activities. I'm not sure how much it would cost if you wanted to pay for a subscription, but there are a number of other free resources available if you like (Sorry, I haven't checked out all of those yet.). Thanks for all the great tips and resources!

Kara Kitamura Kara Kitamura 360 Points

Thank you all for the amazing resources!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers