Forums

Forums / New Teachers / STEM and Weather?

New Teachers

STEM and Weather?

Author Post
Jessica Rock Jessica Rock 750 Points

Hello all,

I am a pre-service teacher who will be student teaching at the third grade level this Spring. However, I have very little experience in writing science lesson plans, and would greatly appreciate some guidance from you all! I am creating a tentative unit plan on weather and climate (again, at the third grade level) focusing specifically on natural hazards. However, I need to incorporate a STEM activity, and I am not exactly sure how to do this within my topic. 

I would greatly appreciate any ideas on how to use a STEM activity within my natural hazards/weather unit plan. 

Thank you,

Jessica Rock

James Johnson James Johnson 95308 Points

Hi Jessica!  I have a great link for you.  The American Meteorological Society has a blizzard of activities for teachers K-12.  There's a flood of activities available as well as graduate credit professional development opportunities.  To add a little sunshine to your day, here's the link:  https://www.ametsoc.org/ams/index.cfm/education-careers/education-program/k-12-teachers/

Hope I didn't cloud up the topic too much, my brain's a little foggy on Saturday morning.

My prediction is:  You'll do great!

JJ

Jessica Rock Jessica Rock 750 Points

JJ,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response! I really appreciated all the weather puns! Haha. And thank you for the link, I will be sure to navigate the website.

Jessica Rock

James Johnson James Johnson 95308 Points

Happy to have been some help!  Best of luck!

jj

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers