Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Critical Thinking with Creation Myths

Earth and Space Science

Critical Thinking with Creation Myths

Author Post
Charles Kressbach Charles Kressbach 60 Points

I have a feeling this is a bad idea, but I'd like to get some input anyway. I live in a highly religious area. When I've brought up subjects such as the Big Bang and Evolution, which will be discussed in the last quarter, I have heard the usual "Only a Theory" comments, as well as talks of bringing a Bible to class to counter the evidence for those theories. I'm not at all worried about this, and I've talked to these students about how to properly handle their emotions when dealing with these subjects, but I think a lot of it comes from fear. My students have really only been exposed to one idea their entire lives. My idea is to introduce space science with a day talking about all the sorts of creation myths from around the world. Maybe even having them write their own creation myth. I want them to see that the story they are used to is not the only one, that in fact there are hundreds if not more. Science is all about critical thinking, but I am unsure if I am opening a pandora's box with this lesson. When I spoke to my mentor about this, she said "maybe when you're tenured". Is it really that dangerous of an idea?

Gary Kanamori Gary Kanamori 240 Points

Depending on the area you live in it could be dangerous... When teaching science you teach kids HOW to be a scientist. So when it comes the time to ask questions, we should ask ourselves in a scientific way. Is there evidence? What can we observe? etc... When covering standards related to this topic I always make sure I am careful with how I word things. I also make it clear that we are to respect other's ideas and opinions (this may include beliefs). For instance, when students learn about how the earth was formed. The question, "Didn't god create the Earth?" And I feel it is CRUCIAL that we express that "some" people believe that, and others may believe something entirely different. Scientists believe this, and this is why. I think what your mentor is trying to say is... Is it worth the risk? Maybe there is another way you could get them to critically think rather then lead them to question the beliefs there parents raised them with. It's a touchy subject for anyone, I wish you the best of luck. Here's a link that may help: http://www.freedomforum.org/publications/first/teachersguide/teachersguide.pdf

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

I agree with your mentor and Gary that you have to be really careful with doing this. Maybe you could approach it with the idea that scientists look at all kinds of evidence when they are exploring a concept. You could explore many creation myths as you suggested, but be very careful with your wording. Don't say that one is better than another, only that there are many explanations for phenomenon. Even scientists cannot agree if Pluto is a planet or not based on all the evidence. Some scientists still would like to consider it a planet even though the majority have voted it out. So there are many views on every subject.

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Charles,

Your questions regarding teaching the big bang theory and evolution are something that almost every science teacher faces sometime in our careers. As Gary pointed out, it is important to be respectful of others' beliefs even if they do not mirror our own. I also think that communication is key. As you highlighted, you think that a lot of the 'issue' in your community with this lesson stems from fear. I think that communicating what you plan to teach with parents and students really goes a long way in helping to address this fear. This help parents understand what you are teaching and why (be sure to include any state or national standards that your lesson covers). Also, give parents the opportunity to contact you to discuss any concerns they have about the lesson. NSTA has a resource that helps science teachers educate out students about evolution. You can access the book here: NSTA Toolkit for Teaching Evolution.

I really like your idea of incorporating different creation myths. Have you though about working with the social studies or literature teachers at your school to integrate the creation myth stories with science and other subjects?

Best of Luck,
Maureen

Kelly Asato Kelly Asato 3820 Points

Hello, Interesting thread. How you approach this topic is the key. I like the idea of making sure that these lessons are standards based and communicating this with parents to diffuse any questioning that may come your way. Bringing in the Social Studies teacher in on your plans to touch upon cultural myths of creation is a good idea, making sure it is in line with the standards. Maureen may be stressing this to make sure that you are covering all your bases. Parents may come down hard, especially if your lessons come across as "swaying their own beliefs." It's always good to have two teachers in on what may become a "touchy subject" in your area. Gary is right about the importance of respecting various beliefs. This could be the main focus of your lessons. Be sure to portray indifference and no favortism to your own beliefs when you teach this. Betty mentioned that people look at situations in different perspectives. That is right. There are many perspectives to everything/ anything and what needs to be the focus is respecting those differences. Showing there are different beliefs through science or social studies: cultural myths, Big Bang theory, creation of this world, etc. and teaching that we should all respect each others' various views and beliefs is important. Your lesson should not focus on who is right and who is wrong, but rather embracing all differences.

Paula Evans Paula Roknick-Evans 2640 Points

Very thought-provoking thread! I think it's a bit easier to get around some of these issues when you are teaching elementary school, because we teach multiple subjects and can insert cross-curricular themes into lessons quite easily. For example, I team up with our Hawaiian Studies teacher, who talks about myths and legends of Hawaii. In the same unit, we explore Polynesian Voyaging, navigation techniques, astronomy, etc. I agree with the idea that we need to teach kids how to be scientists first and foremost, so embedding the scientific method into lessons should be paramount. It's difficult to engage in conversations regarding religion in a science class, especially knowing your boundaries and community's deeply held beliefs. I hope that you find a way to explore creation stories as a jumping off point into scientific methods of exploration. It does sound intriguing, and there are definitely standards from language arts and social studies that you can draw your lessons upon. I'd like to hear more about your plans and thoughts! Paula

Jennifer Rahn Jennifer Rahn 67955 Points

I think I would also be focusing on the genetic processes that cause evolution rather than outcomes. Let students draw their own conclusions as much as possible about the effects of genetic diversity, mutations and interactions of organisms with their environment.

Another thing that might be interesting is to incorporate the concepts of selective breeding in certain species, especially dogs, which have changed dramatically in only a few hundred years. PBS has an interesting documentary Dogs Decoded that does a great job of connecting the 'evolution' of dog, wolf, and fox characteristics that should not offend religious sensibilities while giving students a foundation for asking questions about genetic drift and evolution.

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

Jennifer wrote, 'Another thing that might be interesting is to incorporate the concepts of selective breeding in certain species, especially dogs, which have changed dramatically in only a few hundred years. PBS has an interesting documentary Dogs Decoded that does a great job of connecting the 'evolution' of dog, wolf, and fox characteristics that should not offend religious sensibilities while giving students a foundation for asking questions about genetic drift and evolution.'

I have used Dogs Decoded with my biology students. My students really enjoyed the documentary and since most had dogs, we had a very rich discussion afterwards. Since PBS is so kind to allow free streaming of the program, I put the link to the documentary on my electronic planbook and encouraged my students to watch it again with their parents. Parents appreciate seeing what their young adults are being taught. It tends to alleviate any fears those with religious sensibilities have as well. What I found especially interesting is the Russian geneticists' findings concerning gene linkage.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers