Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Classroom Management

Early Childhood

Classroom Management

Author Post
Cristal Acevedo Cristal Acevedo 280 Points

How can I control my classroom without having to be to tough with the children? Is there any tips or a website that i can use to get ideas? 

Amanda Dice Amanda Dice 350 Points

Hi there!

I am a student teacher, and over the past few years, I have been able to learn a lot about classroom management. When I am teaching a lesson, I like to pause for a few seconds and scan the room. If I see a student is not paying attention, I will gently remind the whole class to have their eyes on me so I don't single out the student. However, if the student is still not listening after the first reminder, then I will say their name as a gentle reminder. Another way I like to help manage my field placement classroom is through callbacks. A callback is when the teacher will say a phrase, and students will immediately stop and reply back as a group. Another important classroom management strategy is building relationships with your students. When you take time to get to know your students individually, they will start to respect and trust you more. The only thing is, you want to remember that you are their teacher, not their friend! As a teacher, it is important to remember that every student is different, and may require different things. I hope some of my suggestions help you!

Jonna Ward Jonna Ward 1655 Points

Hi Cristal,

When it comes to controlling your classroom it is vital to remember that every child is an individual, and that goes for you as well. Every tip you get think about how that will mold your classroom, and whether or not it will help you achieve your ideal classroom. I personally, am a strong advocate for brain breaks. I have found that these breaks not only lead to a more attentive classroom but also to a well-mannered one. The children are much calmer and eager to listen. These brain breaks can be as simplistic as you want them to be. Here are three free PDF links I have found online. The availability of these free PDFs is endless, I highly recommend you give these a shot. Wishing you the best of luck with your classroom!

Jeffrey Nickerson Jeffrey 30 Points

Hello, I think you should plan interactive and engaging lessons that involve student participation. Incorporate varied teaching methods, group activities, and hands-on experiences to keep students actively involved in the learning process. Engaged students are less likely to be disruptive.

Moreover, establish consistent routines for starting and ending class, transitioning between activities like playing geometry dash scratch, and managing materials. Predictable routines help create a structured and organized learning environment, reducing potential disruptions.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers