Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Experiments with younger Elementary

Elementary Science

Experiments with younger Elementary

Author Post
Jenna Fritz Jenna Fritz 215 Points

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what fun and engaging experiments or science activities that would be good for K-1st graders. I really enjoy doing experiments and I am not sure of any that this grade level would understand and be engaged in. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Thanks!

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Jenna, I think Blubber Gloves is great for any age. https://www.stevespanglerscience.com/lab/experiments/blubber-gloves/ There are more lessons about this but this was the first one that popped up. When I do this experiment is when we are learning about animal adaptations. I bring an ice chest that I can fill with ice if the school has an ice machine or bring my own if not. I use Dollar Tree plastic tubs and have ziploc type bags, quart size that I fill one with some type of shortening then insert another baggie inside and use duck tape to tape the seals at the top. Then I tape two empty baggies together for the glove without the shortening. I place a thermometer inside each baggie. Kids seem to be fascinated with thermometers and the earlier they learn to read them, the better. I never allow students to keep their hands even inside the gloves, for more than one minute in the ice water. Then you can have that discussion of hibernation and animals that adapt to their environment and how their bodies use the blubber.

Jessica Ferguson Jessica Ferguson 180 Points

Jenna, While coming up with activities for one of my children's literacy books ( cloudy with a chance of meatballs), I came across a weather experiment with clouds. It uses little materials and is a great visual for kids! The materials are shaving cream, a clear container, water and colored dye. Here is the link! http://onelittleproject.com/shaving-cream-rain-clouds/

Mechelle Wheeler Mechelle Wheeler 510 Points

A few years ago I was placed in a PreK classroom. While I was there, we implemented a really fun and interactive experiment investigating density. We had a large tub filled with water and we collected a few items we didn't mind getting wet such as an empy Easter egg, a wooden toy block, and a rubber duck. We called the experiement Float or Sink. In small groups we would give students two objects to explore at time and inform them that one of the items would sink in the water while the other would float. They would get a chance to hold each item and then make their predictions. 

Dianna Gaspar Dianna Gaspar 2225 Points

Hi Jenna, 

Students at these grade levels are eager to explore they are full of curiousity and you'll be surprise at the vocbulary words and concepts they are able to comprehend. A fun experiment to teach students the concept of reactions:chemical or physical would be the rainbow volcano or magic fizzing shamrocks activities. These are experiments that can be done in small groups or independently. Students get to see what a chemical reaction and physical reaction is and means in terms and ways they will understand. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers