Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Cross- Curricular

Elementary Science

Cross- Curricular

Author Post
Ashley Jacobs Ashley Jacobs 80 Points

Hello,

I am a pre-service teacher at Wartburg College and thoughout my different field experiences I have been curious in how to apply science with other subjects. Since science is not a main subject in schools that is focused on for being taught, I am looking for different ways to in cooperate science by crossing it over into other subjects. So, I am looking for different lesson ideas to in cooperate science with math, language arts a, and reading. 

Ashley Jacobs 

Wartburg College 

Elementary Education 

Madeline Chilton Madeline Chilton 2870 Points

Reading and language arts can easily be incorporated into science by having students read text about your science concept and having them write what they learned for summative or formative assessments. Even having them write their data and completing charts/tables with their information. For math, my favorite thing to do is have them create a graph of their data. Depending on the grade level, you can scaffold it to different abilities and have different types of graphs.

Paige Faulkner Paige Faulkner 2545 Points

Hello! I have also noticed that science is often pushed to the back burner and not a topic that is heavily taught in elementary schools, which is too bad beacuse kids can learn so much from science. Since science isn't a topic commonly taught, it is important for teachers to put since curriculum into language arts, reading, and math. Some ways to add science into reading and language arts is by having them read about science and then write about it. Students could read a story that involves science and then answer science related questions about the story. They could also watch or do an experience themselves and then write about what happened. They could even make this writing into a story or a formal letter depending on what you are working on. You could incorporate science into math by conducting a science experiment and then creating a graph or chart of the data. You could also have them do a science experiment where they have to use measurement. For example, in class we have been doing some experiments with shadows and in those experiments the students have to measure their shadows in order to create bigger and smaller shadows. You could also do some addition and subtraction when talking about forces. It is important for students to become familiar with science in elementary school, therefore, if you school doesn't allow a science block it is important to find time to add science into your other subjects you're teaching. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers