Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Resources

New Teachers

Resources

Author Post
Amra Milanovic Amra Milanovic 1710 Points

As a student teacher, I did not have a chance to observe Science classrooms as much as I have liked to. However, the few that I did see had many resources available for the teacher. The school provided most of the materials, anchor charts, and other supplies. What resources are vital for the first year elementary Science teacher to obtain, if we are in a situation where the school does not provide them? What should be start with initially?  Thank you, Amra Milanovic

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Look up science grants that are available in your state or city. Contact local businesses or industry to ask for donations. I contact the petro chemical industry at the beginning of each year to ask for safety goggles and non-latex gloves. Then we write thank you letters. I've even had some parents who are chemical or mechanical engineers who helped with small items and even taught a lesson or two for me. I can't say exactly what you would need as far as a supplies are concerned.

Susan Farmer Susan Farmer 1520 Points

Elementary students love to use "real" science equipment like beakers and test tubes, but science can be taught on a shoe string with plastic baggies, paper cups, dollar store and garage sale finds along with items that can be shared school-wide. I feel that all elementary teachers should have basic measuring tools like rulers, graduated cylinders and a balance scale. Schools usually have science readers that support grade level objectives, but you can also borrow from the library. It's also nice to equip a discovery station with a microscope, bug boxes, small terrariums and toys that use physics principles. Students love to help with word walls and other science related posters that can be posted on the walls. Parents are usually willing to help with supplies too!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers