Forums

Forums / Physical Science / Physics Help!

Physical Science

Physics Help!

Author Post
Ali Neugebauer Ali Newgebauer 1170 Points

I have a student who was invited to compete in a science and math trivia competition. Part of the competition involves physics and she has never taken the course, nor have I (I teach biology and environmental science). I am trying to prep her for the competition which is in two weeks and need to figure out what is the most important items to teach her. The list I was given is as follows: -Mechanics (static, Kinematic, and Dynamic)- refers to the study of the laws of motion and the equilibrium of certain bodies. Includes: relationship between an objects change of position and time, velocity, acceleration, and free fall, Newton's laws, forces, momentum. -Sources of Energy and the transformation of energy- this area of physics is intended to prepare the student for the manifestations, forms, transfer, transformations, and conservation of energy. Suggested areas of study are: applying the law of conservation of energy to predict the result of the transformation, classification of energy, explaining the relationship among energy, work and potential, condition under which a force does work, the work-energy theorem, work and potential. Basically, none of this makes sense to me and I would love any suggestions for how to best help my student study and prepare for the competition!

David Paulsell David Paulsell 75 Points

Wow, that is a lot to learn in a short time. I would suggest using Science Objects which are free. Science Objects are two hour on-line interactive inquiry-based content modules that help better understand science contents. If you go to the Advanced Search on your main page and choose Science Objects, high school grade level, Physical Science and free you will get several Science Objects and you can choose those that fit your criteria. Good luck to you and your student.

Patricia Rourke Patricia Rourke 45925 Points

The Physics Classroom is an outside source - ie, not resident in the Learning Center; however, it has served physics students and teachers well for a couple of decades and has been well vetted. It contains great simulations and questions for students who need to work through physics concepts individually. Please encourage your student to give it a consideration. Here are descriptors of the various areas. The Physics Classroom Tutorial A set of instructional pages written in an easy-to-understand language and complemented by graphics and Check Your Understanding sections. An ideal starting location for those grasping for understanding or searching for answers. Multimedia Physics Studios A large collection of GIF animations and QuickTime movies designed to demonstrate physics principles in a visual manner. Each animation is accompanied by explanations and links to further information. Shockwave Physics Studios A collection of pages which feature interactive Shockwave files that simulate a physical situation. Users can manipulate a variable and observe the outcome of the change on the physical situation. Here is the url http://www.physicsclassroom.com/ ~patty

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Patty, That is a great site. I hope others check it out. I have sent it to several physics teachers. Thanks, Betty

Michelle Bellinger Michelle Bellinger 9195 Points

I think physicsclassroom.com is one of the most comprehensive sites to learn high school physics. There are also problems you can solve online and have a solution too!

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Ali, I was impressed with all the great resources several teachers provided as a result of your initial inquiry. Please let us know how your student accomplished this monumental feat and share with us what resource were most helpful to either of you. Thanks, Carolyn

Ali Neugebauer Ali Newgebauer 1170 Points

Thank you everyone! This was extremely helpful and we were able to get through the basics!

Sandy Gady Sandy Gady 43175 Points

I would definitely use the http://www.phsyicsclassroom.com/ website. It can be a little overwhelming initially, but once you get the hang of it, the website is full of truly wonderful resources. I have used this while working with National Board Candidates, middle school students that need extension material as well as a tutorial for adult students that needed to brush up on their physics. The results have been phenomenal.

Thanks for the endorsement, Sandy. The Physics Classroom has been a wonderful resource for two decades as it evolved along with the changes in web delivery from a physics teachers classroom project translated into a TAPESTRY winner, I believe. The site has been vetted and useful at many levels. And Paul Hewitt of Conceptual Physics fame and a fabulous artist most generously shared his art with the Physics Classroom and other PTRA's.

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

Patty,

I am glad you mentioned Paul Hewitt. I have used his Hewitt Drew-It series rather successfully with my students. You can find the entire collection here.

Thanks, Ruth. Paul was so willing to share with pre-college teachers. I still have my 1988 PTRA t-shirt and the drawings that he shared with us at AAPT that summer. I just love this video!!!!!

Michael McComish Michael McComish 1500 Points

Thanks Patty for posting the physics classroom site...very helpful. Mike

Hi Michael, It is great that you find the physics classroom site useful. What are you teaching? What level? Do you have other resources that you find useful in your teaching? Please carry on with this conversation and share some of your thoughts. We'd love to hear more from you. Thanks a bunch. ~patty

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers