Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / Teaching plants and their functions

Next Generation Science Standards

Teaching plants and their functions

Author Post
Emilee Bellow Emilee Bellow 565 Points

Hi all! I am currently a student teacher and lesson planning over plants and their functions. Does anyone have any fun and engaging activites besides planting seeds and observing them? Student will be observing plants but would also love to have other activites that they can elaborate on. Thanks in advance! 

A J A 200 Points

One of my favorite activities when I was in school was 

Kasey Mannion Kasey Mannion 1020 Points

Hi Emilee, 

Planting seeds and observing the plants grow is always a great activity to implement in the clasroom. You might consider developing a full class garden that contains lots of plants and maybe even grow some vegetables.

Another activity that will allow students to engage with plants is a leaf collecting project. I love leaf collecting because it gives students an opportunity to get outside and enjoy nature- something that is so very important in science education. Once students have collected their leaves, an activity in the classroom could be to sort all the leaves into identifying categories. There are endless activities to do with leaf collections, so get creative and have fun!

-Kasey  

Priscilla Braham Priscilla Braham 60 Points

Hello Kasey, as a young student I remeber growing a plant in school. It was one of the most fun activities I did growing up. This really allows for students to understand the entire process of how plants grow and what they need in order to function. Today I work with students who really enjoy gardening club so growing vegestables is a really good idea. Students really seem to love hands on activities.

Samantha Ramirez Samantha Ramirez 200 Points

Hi Emilee! As the other teacher's mentioned before, having the students have a hands on experience of planting a seed is one of the most enjoyable activities for students. Since it is real-world application the students can easily observe the growth of the plant over a given span on time and know to look for certain indicators in order to track growth. 

Lily Albertson Lily Albertson 530 Points

I agree with how others have said planting seeds it a great idea. It can also be used to show the different growth rates in plants. This could then be used to explain things such as evolution and survival of the fittest. If the plant on the left grows faster than the one of the right, it may have more access to light and nutrients. The plant on the right may then have stunted growth or die due to a lack of sunlight. However, you could then segway into adaptations, as not all plants need the same amount of light to thrive. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers