Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Future Elementary Teacher

Elementary Science

Future Elementary Teacher

Author Post
Laura Cortez Laura Cortez 200 Points

Hello as a future elementary teacher, I would like to know how can I help the students view science in a way that they could relate to and make it more engaging?

Kylar Merrell Kylar Merrell 1493 Points

I'm a future elementary teacher as well, and from what I know, the best way to engage your students is to relate it to things in their lives. For instance, find something that your students are interested in and explain the science behind that. Also make sure that your students see themselves in the curriculum. If they see a way that it's useful or applicable to them, they're more likely to be engaged in the material. 

Sydney Smith Sydney Smith 2068 Points

Hi, Laura!

I am working on getting my degree in Elementary Education, and I am in a Methods of Teaching Science for Elementary Teachers class this semester. We have discussed different ways to get students engaged and interested in our lessons, so I will share some of them with you. :) You could start the lesson off by showing the students a video or reading them a book about whatever it is that you are studying. This gets the students curious as to what they will be learning about. Another suggestion is to make the material as relatable as possible because when our lessons relate with our students, we are providing them with an authentic learning experience. I hope this helps!!

Hayden Williams Hayden Williams 180 Points

Integrating science into their interests can help with student engagement. For example, looking at the physics behind certain sports helps students connect science to their day-to-day lives. Also encouraging an environment of curiosity in your students will help them become more interested when they start to ask their own questions. I would recommend modeling asking scientific questions often and having students ask questions about different events. The more you can get students to take ownership of their science education, the more interested they will be. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers