Forums

Forums / Distance Learning / How do I get my students attention?

Distance Learning

How do I get my students attention?

Author Post
Brenda Cortez Brenda Cortez 370 Points

I know that it is very difficult to get the attention of all your students specially when you have different kinds of students. I want to know how did the teachers manage this situation when we were on pandemic, because if you have trouble getting the attention of your students in person now image in a online class. What type of activities did the teacher do, specially on science.I know that not every studedent learns the same way so, you need to figure out what type of strategie you are going to use in order to get all your students attention.

Ana Gonzalez Ana Gonzalez 520 Points

Hi Brenda, it might be really hard to grasp the student's attention while teaching a class especially when students are really young. You are right not all students learn the same way, however you can grab the students attention by applying science with topics that students are familiar with. For example, if the student has a favorite hobby, or a favorite animal you add those topics into the lecture.

Annie Dietz Annie Dietz 725 Points

Hello Brenda, my name is Annie Dietz. I am a preservice teacher at Wartburg College, studying to become a high school Biology teacher. When it comes to science lessons, giving students a hands-on activity can be super beneficial, it keeps them engaged and interested. Another idea is to connect their interest to the lesson. For example, if the topic were earth science and you were studying the rock cycle you could bring in several types of rocks so the kids can connect to the lesson more.  

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers