Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / A Constructivist Classroom

Elementary Science

A Constructivist Classroom

Author Post
Chandini Persaud Chandini Persaud 150 Points

The Constructivism Learning Theory and Philosophy of Education (Mcleod) highlights an active approach to teaching and learning in the classroom. A key point within constructivism is that learners and educators construct knowledge by building on existing foundations, and making meaningful connections throughout their learning process. I find that the three types of constructivism : cognitive, social, and radical constructivism would play a significant part in the classroom as it includes the mental process to which knowledge is constructed, the social aspect in which students learn through group work and collaboration, and the participation aspect as they learn through their personal experiences. Constructivism also makes the classroom a student centered space, where their thoughts, interactions and interests are valued. It is also important for educators to recognize that due different social interactions, students may take in the same information but process it differently. 

The philosophies and theories behind constructivism in the classroom is shown through the lessons and activities discussed in the article, Demystifying Nature of Science (Lederman et al).  Reading the NOS and NGSS concepts I find that many of them correlate to constructivism aspects and teaching strategies, as the concepts embrace the philosophy of  “learning in a realistic concept” (Mcleod). As educators introduced science to early childhood learners they had to start off with main aspects to understanding science which laid a foundation of knowledge for the activities to build onto. Educators applied many constructivist strategies through their teaching, they opened up lessons by asking open ended questions by using the science vocabulary introduced, educators allowed students to think for themselves, the lessons allowed for students to learn through different methods such as an activity, a book, a game, group work and collaboration. At the end of the lesson students made connections to their experience, and applied real world thinking they also had time to reflect on their understanding. All of these actions support the constructivist approach to teaching. These strategies and different methods of teaching have inspired my way of thinking and my approach to teaching a classroom.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers