Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Incorporating Culture into Science Education

Elementary Science

Incorporating Culture into Science Education

Author Post
Sarah Brooks Sarah Brooks 355 Points

Diversity is so important in the classroom. I understand that incorporating different perspectives and cultural experiences can help create an open and safe space for all of my students in my future classroom. How can I realistically incorporate a culturally responsive curriculum into a science lesson? 

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Sarah,

this month's Science Scope (Sept. 2018) has an article on this very topic!  You can access it at: https://common.nsta.org/resource/default.aspx?id=10.2505%2f4%2fss18_042_02_16

Check it out.  It is called, 'Science For All: Creating a culturally responsive middle school science classroom'.

The article is intimating that being culturally responsive is not something one does within a single lesson or even unit of study; it is the daily classroom management strategy a teacher follows to create an all inclusive classroom environment for all of his/her students.

Let me know what you think about the article if you get an opportunity to read it.

Best,

Carolyn

Molly Livingston Molly Livingston 2393 Points

Hi Sarah! I love this question because diversity is so important in the classroom. There are many ways to enhance the science experience and learning by creating a multicultural environment in the classroom! Some examples include; integrating culturally relevant examples, encouraging positive attitudes and behaviors regarding different cultures and using different techniques that help the students work together in understanding the different racial, social and ethnic groups in the classroom.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers