Forums

Forums / Physical Science / Simple Machines Project

Physical Science

Simple Machines Project

Author Post
Jennifer Rahn Jennifer Rahn 67955 Points

This thread began on the physical science listserve. I think it is a great topic for this forum; there were some great ideas provided. The original message: From: [email protected] [[email protected]] On Behalf Of Kari Schumacher [[email protected]] Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2010 2:24 PM To: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Subject: Simple Machines Project Hello, I am going to start a unit on work and simple machines for a group of 7th graders. When I was in 7th or 8th grade, I remember doing a project where we had to build something that displayed all types of simple machines (pulleys, levers, wedges, screws, etc). I really enjoyed doing the project and thought that it was a nice way to learn about simple machines. I think that my group ended up using a board that then showed all of them individually. So, I was wondering if anybody has done something similar. If so, does somebody have a write-up or rubric for a project like this? Thank you for your time!! Kari Schumacher

I have used the Rube Goldberg video by OK Go as well. It is a great way to hook the students at the beginning of the unit, and there is plenty to analyze. See if you can find any splices in the video! (They say it was a single shot!) From the listserve: If your district is like ours YouTube is blocked. You can get it at TeacherTube though. Also, there's a great Honda commercial. It's on TeacherTube as well. Liz Wardsworth National Board Certified Teacher Bowdish Middle School - Science University High School Head Girls Track and Field 2109 S. Skipworth Rd. Spokane Valley, WA 992006 509-228-4738 Link to the TeacherTube version: http://teachertube.com/viewVideo.php?video_id=196729 ' target="_blank"> http://teachertube.com/viewVideo.php?video_id=196729 " target="_blank"> http://teachertube.com/viewVideo.php?video_id=196729 ' target="_blank"> http://teachertube.com/viewVideo.php?video_id=196729 . This link contains commercial advertising. ________________________________________ From: [email protected] [[email protected]] On Behalf Of Brian DeYoung [[email protected]] Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 6:21 PM To: Aimee Park Cc: Kari Schumacher; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Subject: Re: Simple Machines Project The Band "Ok Go" has a great Rube Goldberg Machine music video for their song "This Too Shall Pass." FYI, they also have another video with a marching band for the same song. You can find both on YouTube! Brian DeYoung Seventh Grade Science Lake Bluff Middle School The band also has a website with an interactive map of the machine. http://www.okgo.net/this-too-shall-pass-rube-goldberg-machine/ " target="_blank">This Too Shall Pass Rube Goldberg Machine .

I gathered a few articles that I thought might advance the discussion.

Simple Machines Collection (10 items)
Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Jennifer (and Kari),
I found several neat resources at http://search.nasa.gov/search/search.jsp?nasaInclude=simple+machines.Simple Machines....
I liked the Puzzling Pyramid simulation using various simple machines.
Carolyn

I received this email from Bill Robertson. He makes a good point about the National Standards, mentioned by others on the listserve: In addition to the resources you listed, there is an NSTA energy science object (Useful and Not So Useful Energy) that deals with simple machines. In developing that, we had the same issue mentioned by others in this thread, namely that simple machines were not to be a major concept in the science object (not in the National Standards). So, we used them as an application of other energy concepts. This science object, like all the others, is free. You just need to register. Bill I have added the Science Object to the collection in the previous post. Thank you Bill for passing this along. Also, thank you Carolyn for the NASA site.

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Hi Jennifer and Everyone,
I am so glad you mentioned Dr. Robertson, Jennifer. He is my 'hero' for helping me to more effectively teach physical science concepts. Besides all of his 'Stop Faking It' books, his webinar and ppt. are both very helpful to give teachers solid background information and hints on how to present the concepts to our students. The archived webinar can be accessed at:
Energy: Stop Faking It! Simple Machines
Carolyn

Jessica Weedon Jessica Fagan 3795 Points

One project my students really enjoyed for simple machines was making marshmellow catapults. I used simple materials and the students linked the conepts back to kinetic and potential energy.

Steve Werner Steve Werner 1055 Points

Many years ago at the St. Louis NSTConvention a gentleman selling yo yo's had a nice KE and spin energy lesson to promote selling yo yo's. Wasn't there to buy. His lesson was The Energy of Yo. Looking for freebies in the gym booths another gentleman was handing these popcan toys and asking people to "do something with them" Might consider this cool recycled toy. :) I think I uploaded a segment of my ppt. for your review. Rewrote the lesson as The Energy Of a Popcan Racer.

Attachments

Patricia Rourke Patricia Rourke 45925 Points

Hi Steve, Thank you for sharing some of your approach and your Powerpoint. I remember the 'Physics of Yo' and the power of the Yo. I could never get the yo-yo to 'sleep' very well. i was not a good yo-yo demonstrator; however, my students often gathered data and used sensors to analyze the rotatory motion of the Yo-yo and to look at conservation of momentum. I will have to revisit that, thanks to you. I am not in the traditional classroom now but continue to mentor teachers so I really thank you for the nudge. What data do you expect your students to gather, how, and what general observations to make if they pursue the magical motion of the yo-yo? ~patty

Hello Jessica, Thank you for posting about the neat projectile motion project - marshmallow cataputs. I would love to hear more about the design of the project - what constraints or materials the students had to design the catapult and how they measured the success of their throw. What did you have them do with the trajectory of the marshmallow? Your enthusiasm leads me to inquire if you are aware of the NASA-NSTA partnership and doing low-g experiments. Recently, I attended one of the 3 webinars that teachers presented to the public describing the student experiments that they conducted in a low-g environment. One group used a mouse-trap catapult. If this sounds intriguing, please visit the webinar archives and review what the students and teachers designed. Even sharing a story about your student's catalput and the one done in a low-g environment may excite a student's imagination. Here's the title of the webinar: Experiments in Reduced Gravity: Team Reports 3 Thanks again for sharing and exdciting the imaginations of others. ~ patty

Hello Patti, The popcan racer is a fun toy used the same way the gentleman used the yo. As I recall he used a strobe light and marked the yo to find rps to calculate rotational energy. This toy os a nice compound machine to calculate MA of lever and wheel/axle. Controlling variables via counting winds and making sure our rubber band is completly unwound before winding for the next trial. Also they may use as many bands as they think will make the racer go faster. the fastest racer in the last decade or so only had one band in the middle of the can. I guess that would be a motorcycle. May I add another simple machine quickie. I have two long 2x4's nailed together and a brick in the room. We play power of the thumb where the smallest boy or girl lift my weight with their thumb after some trial and error. Students are introduced to MA with that demo. Of course, if you try this, make sure you are close to a table to maintain balance with you hands, for unless the students press directy down you might get a horizontal rotation on the way up.:) You probably only need one 2x4.:) Enjoyed speaking with you. Steve

Hi Steve! I love the power MA demo. I am certain that the students love it and will never forget the meaning of MA and have a foundation for torque later on in their science studies. It would be fun to measure the force with which the young, tiny, student pushes downward. Have you thought about presenting a potpourri of neat and teacher-tested demos as part of a regional NSTA conference? Teachers would just love it, I;m sure. Or perhaps you could put together a little article for a journal. Not all journal articles are pages, long. Your demos would be perfect for the Idea Bank - tips and techniques for creative teaching. Anyway, it was great hearing from you and having your share your 'powerful' ideas. Thanks a bunch ~ Patty

Jennifer, on Rube machines, Lori(our first block teachers aide) e-mailed a squirrel vid, trained with nuts at each phase, the final sequence of his efforts in obtaining nuts. Amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UbQBH_uXe8&feature=fvst Steve

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers